This forum is for asking questions and providing answers on bird identification. New and visiting birders are encouraged to ask and participate.
By jeanwil
Hello,
visiting BC this summer, I toke the picture (see link below) on Blackie Spit reserve of a juvenile gull that I can't identify.
Black head - Yellow legs ...
Thank you in advance for your help.
Regards,
Jean Willemyns
Brussels

By Birder2000
jeanwil wrote:Hello,
visiting BC this summer, I toke the picture (see link below) on Blackie Spit reserve of a juvenile gull that I can't identify.

I'm not sure. Franklin's Gull is definitely an option.

For those who can't see the image:

Last edited by Birder2000 on Dec 13 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Guy L. Monty
Hmmmm? Plumage looks good for Franklin's Gull. Bill seems large though, almost like a Laughing Gull. And what is with those pale legs???
I think I would prefer more photos, or seeing this bird in person before labeling it. I'll pass.

Definitely not a Bonaparte's Gull anyway.

thanks,

Guy L. Monty
Nanoose Bay, Vancouver Island, BC
By Jeremy Gatten
I would go with juvenile Franklin's Gull. Nothing else really matches - a juvenile Laughing Gull in the summer would seemingly look greyer overall and have nearly blackish legs. I doubt it would be able to traverse the length of the continent at that point, anyways.

If you do a Google image search, you can find birds with similarities to at least one feature or another of this bird. Several shots have the hooded appearance this bird shows, while others show pinkish legs.

Jeremy Gatten
Saanichton, B.C. (currently in Port Perry, ON)

And finally from Iona Beach Park, there were a few[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

Update for 9 May 2024 ... we are at 158 birds! Woo[…]

Thank you to all who came out to support OWL at ou[…]