Looking for something to shoot? Find challenges and assignments here.
Thanks StumblingPiper and NewWestBirder - I like this Challenge thing - at least the shots I get of my neighborhood birds gets put to some use, other than Gb of files on my elderly computer.

Tomorrow's weather looks like it might be a sunny dawn, so a Dawn Patrol on the West Dyke here in Richmond might be in order. The Red Winged Blackbirds are singing, raptors are doing raptor things, and there might be a fly-by of some Trumpeter Swans, whatever the dawn light will bring.
Sunny Saturday January 6, 2024, but oh, how that cold Northwester blew down the Salish Sea! The Harriers were having trouble hunting, being thrown around in the strong gusty winds. The only new birds to add to the list are: Snow Geese, Red Winged Blackbird, House Finch, Spotted Towhee and a bonus Lesser Scaup in the pond behind the Steveston Village townhouses.

ImageSnow Geese01 Jan06_2024 by GMcD2008, on Flickr

ImageRed Winged Blackbird01 Jan06_2024 by GMcD2008, on Flickr

ImageHouse Finch02 Jan06_2024 by GMcD2008, on Flickr

ImageSpotted Towhee04 Jan06_2024 by GMcD2008, on Flickr

ImageLesser Scaup04 Jan06_2024 by GMcD2008, on Flickr
A bonus bright morning along the South Arm of the Fraser River between Gilbert Beach and London's Landing pier, and a few more local birds to add to the list:
Northwest Crow greeting the dawn, Glaucous Winged Gull, Trumpeter Swans, Greater Yellowlegs, and some Bufflehead ducks.

ImageNW Crow02 Jan07_2024 by GMcD2008, on Flickr

ImageGlaucous Winged Gull01 Jan07_2024 by GMcD2008, on Flickr

ImageTrumpeter Swan03 Jan07_2024 by GMcD2008, on Flickr

ImageGreater Yellowlegs02 Jan07_2024 by GMcD2008, on Flickr

ImageBufflehead04 Jan07_2024 by GMcD2008, on Flickr
Great adds -- the list grows! I had a good day along Wood Lake (Lake Country), but was only able to add this one bird ... he was at the North end of the Lake on the spit that separates Kalamalka Lake from Wood Lake: Northern Shrike!

I didn't get this guy on my list last year, so happy to add him early!
James
I saw beautiful clear sunny conditions this morning, but knew that there was a stiff wind blowing. What the heck, try a dawn patrol on the West Dyke in Richmond. I lasted an hour, enough for the sun to hit the marsh, while my eyes and nose were running like a leaky faucet. In spite of gloves, fingers were numb, and only one Northern Harrier was trying to battle the gale force winds blowing down the strait. OK, not yet on the list, so a few snapshots taken, but we can add the Northern Harrier to the list now:

ImageNorthern Harrier02 Jan11_2024 by GMcD2008, on Flickr
We're already off to a great start with some really nice pictures posted. It was so cold today that all I managed to do was sit on the patio for about 30 minutes after which my fingers were so cold I couldn't press the shutter anymore (in spite of wearing gloves and having lots of warm clothes on).
I managed to get a few additions for the list:

ImageVaried Thrush (Male) by Jewill on Flickr

ImageDowny Woodpecker (Male) by Jewill on Flickr

ImageNorthern Flicker (Female) by Jewill on Flickr
I waited till the local temperature warmed up to a balmy -8 this afternoon, and decided on a character-building stroll along the Fraser River near here. There was still a stiff outflow wind blowing so I walked into it for a while to near Gilbert Beach, then back to London's Landing. Quite a few shorebirds along with the usual flocks of ducks and Canada Geese. Some small groups of Dunlins, Greater Yellowlegs, Killdeers, and some Brewer's Blackbirds. A bonus was a 1st. winter Common Goldeneye drake at London's Landing.

So four new birds for the Challenge List: Killdeer, Brewer's Blackbird, Dunlin and the Common Goldeneye:

ImageKilldeer06 Jan12_2024 by GMcD2008, on Flickr

ImageDunlin04 Jan12_2024 by GMcD2008, on Flickr

ImageCommon Goldeneye 1st Winter drake03 Jan12_2024 by GMcD2008, on Flickr

ImageBrewers Blackbird01 Jan12_2024 by GMcD2008, on Flickr
The Cooper's Hawk has already been posted here, but it was a juvenile example. This morning, an adult Cooper's Hawk flew in to check out London's Landing pier for a while. Less wind than yesterday, somewhat pleasant on the pier, but still cold enough that my shutter button finger was going numb in a minute or two. Here is an adult Cooper's Hawk from this morning:

ImageCoopers Hawk06 Jan13_2024 by GMcD2008, on Flickr
I took a quick look down at the London's Landing pier this afternoon during some sunny periods, very little wind, and a tropical -4C. The usual suspects were about - Red Breasted Mergansers, Common Mergansers, Mallards, Widgeons, Green Winged Teal, some Wilson's Snipe, Killdeers, and a lone American Coot foraging around the pier.

Another bird to add to the list - American Coot, and it's crazy feet:

ImageAmerican Coot02 Jan14_2024 by GMcD2008, on Flickr

ImageAmerican Coot07 Jan14_2024 by GMcD2008, on Flickr
Had a chance to spend an hour on the pier at London's Landing this morning, and a flock of Long Billed Dowitchers flew in for a rest and roost in the marsh on the west side of the pier. Not a great photo, but the Long Billed Dowitchers are there, along with a Greater Yellowlegs, Mallards and Green Winged Teal. So tick off the Long Billed Dowitcher for this years' list:

ImageLong Billed Dowitcher06 Jan15_2024 by GMcD2008, on Flickr

The nice bonus for the afternoon was as I was walk[…]