Looking for something to shoot? Find challenges and assignments here.
By GMcD
Thanks, springtime - lots of good migratory birds showing up, hopefully next week when the rain clears, more warbler hunting, saw a couple of nice Yellow warblers at Iona the other day (no photo opportunities- they were too fast and in heavy brush), plus my photo file from the last two years shows Townsend's Warblers and Black Throated Grey Warblers showing up anytime in the next couple of weeks. Looking forward to what others can submit during the next few weeks. Gotta be some good birds in the interior that should come up.
By jewill
Nice Cliff Swallows GMcD; I've never even seen one despite looking for them at Iona.

It seems we don't yet have a European Starling on the list. In spite of them being annoying and invasive they are still quite beautiful in their own way.
ImageEuropean Starling by Jewill on Flickr

And the first of the year Black-headed Grosbeak in the back greenspace. They have bred here in previous years, so I'm hoping the female shows up soon.
ImageBlack-headed Grosbeak (Male) by Jewill on Flickr
Last edited by jewill on May 09 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By GMcD
Jewill - if you want to guarantee seeing Cliff Swallows, head down to Britannia Heritage Shipyard, there is a mud flat exposed at low tide to the west of the large white net loft building that will be busy with Barn Swallows and Cliff Swallows all month as they build their adobe huts under the eaves there. Early morning light is best so you can get decent light on the area.

I have seen Cliff Swallows at Iona, but they are not frequent visitors - I believe there is a nesting colony somewhere on the sandstone cliffs along Wreck Beach.
By jewill
GMcD wrote:Jewill - if you want to guarantee seeing Cliff Swallows, head down to Britannia Heritage Shipyard, there is a mud flat exposed at low tide to the west of the large white net loft building that will be busy with Barn Swallows and Cliff Swallows all month as they build their adobe huts under the eaves there. Early morning light is best so you can get decent light on the area.

I have seen Cliff Swallows at Iona, but they are not frequent visitors - I believe there is a nesting colony somewhere on the sandstone cliffs along Wreck Beach.
Thanks for the tip…I’ll check it out.
By jewill
Oh my! I actually got a lifer today and all I had to do was wait for the bird to come to me. I was doing my usual patio birding this afternoon when all of a sudden this little yellow bird flies in and lands about 30 feet away. It took me a few seconds to realize what it was, get it in focus and then go for it in burst mode. She was only there for about 30 seconds but that was all I needed.

ImageTownsend's Warbler (Female) by Jewill on Flickr

This is what makes birding so exciting and satisfying.
Lovely shot of the grosbeak and the Townsend's Judy.

GMcD: I was out at Terra Nova this morning, and what to my mind is the shadiest of the internal trails in the park, experienced a plethora (not a usual birding term..lol) of Warbling Vireos. It seemed to be an "all you can eat" smorgasbord, as I have half a dozen pictures of vireos with big green fat caterpillars in their beaks. I hadn't heard about this park until you mentioned it, so thanks for location tip.

Jewill- looks good for the Western Flycatcher - t[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

Update for 9 May 2024 ... we are at 158 birds! Woo[…]