Looking for something to shoot? Find challenges and assignments here.
Took a drive down toward Osoyoos / Ok Falls today to see if I can get a few of our outstanding Central Okanagan birds ... Success! While making a quick stop at Vaseux Lake, I had a glimpse of a female Chat, but couldn't get the picture! However, this Veery did me a favor and sang at the top of a tree!
Vaseux always delivers and is worth a stop if you are in the area.

Another place I love to frequent is Road 22 near Osoyoos. You can get quite a few birds there, and today I was able to get a long-shot of a Bobolink. (Ian, if you get a better close-up, please post it!)

Another spot where I've had good success is Knox Mountain park in Kelowna. I finally got around to looking at some of the bird photos I took while stumbling around in there and was able to identify this Cassin's Finch. Score!

Great pictures, everyone, and thanks for contributing!
James
I updated the list ... we are currently at 171 birds! Great work, everyone. On June 26, last year, we were at 184 birds. I think we are moving along well -- and there are still some common birds missing ... I'll see what I can get in the next couple of weeks!
Here's the link to the list: viewtopic.php?p=91795#p91795
Steely wrote: Jun 18 8:52 am I think my Bobolink is the same one on the same bush that you managed to get! This is a major crop in as I wasn't able to get close either! :lol:
lol, Ian. Love it! Great shot ... even with the crop!
Nice haul, Randy. lol. Zach -- glad to have you back. I was trying for that Belted Kingfisher this weekend ... glad you took care of it.
By Steely
Here are a few to fill in some of the gaps. I haven't seemed to get out as much as I anticipated this year and have also found that the numbers seem to be down in general... at least in my usual haunt in the South Okanagan.

Clark's Nutcracker on Anarchist Mtn. East of Osoyoos.

Yellow-breasted Chat near OK Falls.

Williamson's Sapsucker on Anarchist Mtn. East of Osoyoos.
I want to give a big shout out of thanks to James. I drove out to OK Falls for a few days, and James provided me with some excellent itineraries (maps, directions, personal observations). James, I had an excellent experience, so thanks very much. I have one piece of negative feedback though...you forgot to warn me about the early morning mosquitos at Vaseux Lake. So I head out in shorts and t-shirt...well I will leave the rest to your imagination. I suspect my slapping and scratching kept alot of birds away. :lol: None the less, saw a lot of birds, and many first timers. Below are a few I can offer for our list.
NewWestBirder wrote: Jul 02 7:01 pm I want to give a big shout out of thanks to James. I drove out to OK Falls for a few days, and James provided me with some excellent itineraries (maps, directions, personal observations). James, I had an excellent experience, so thanks very much. I have one piece of negative feedback though...you forgot to warn me about the early morning mosquitos at Vaseux Lake. So I head out in shorts and t-shirt...well I will leave the rest to your imagination. I suspect my slapping and scratching kept alot of birds away. :lol: None the less, saw a lot of birds, and many first timers. Below are a few I can offer for our list.
Lol. Sorry about that Randy! I should have definitely warned you! I'm very happy to hear that you had a great time -- Lifers are always fun -- I'm glad you hit a few ... If you are up in the Kelowna area again, let me know -- maybe we can hit a few spots together!
Is this some kind of thrush?

Thx!!

Anna's fantail

Anna's Hummingbird captured in an Oak Bay alleyway[…]

2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

Great adds, everyone! I was able to capture a few[…]

My first post!

A Song Sparrow (singing?) taken at Willows Beach V[…]