This forum is for asking questions and providing answers on bird identification. New and visiting birders are encouraged to ask and participate.
By Smithers

This bird showed up on my balcony near the West Vancouver Seawall in the midmorning. It seemed to be investigating the cavities of the railing. I would say that it's about the size of a song sparrow. (The vertical measurement of the opening, measured on the left, is 1 1/4". )

I see a short stubby bill with yellow on the bottom. Some yellow on the side of the bill. Grey around and in front of dark eyes. A yellowish-brown stripe behind the eye. Dark grey or brown crown. Very pale brownish chin and underparts. Dark brown markings on the upper wings. A square tail.

After looking through Birds of Western Canada, I don't have a guess for this one...
To me it looks like a finch, but it doesn't match any finch photos I see online, even for immature ones.
By BirdingBC
Hi Smithers,

Appears to be a female House Sparrow (species introduced from Europe). This species is known to start nesting from February (now) until June. It has a more finch link bill vs other North American Sparrows and well adapted to urban city life.

Cheers,
By Smithers
Thanks Kevin,

I see it in my book now.

There is at least one male that has been around lately (see photo in the challenge), which I see and definitely hear.

Again, a little more education for me...

Smithers

I don't think we have a Whimbrel yet and although […]