Looking for something to shoot? Find challenges and assignments here.
:shock: Wow! Y'all have been busy! Way to go everyone -- great pictures ... I'll put up a list this morning ... sorry for the delay ... I agree with Zach ... we might be heading for a record! :D
OK ... here we go! 66 birds so far! And 20 pair.
Bill (smithers) -- I didn't add a couple of yours because the photos are broken for me. Are they broken for others? If we can get those fixed, I'll add them. Judy--you've been very productive! haha. Everyone else, too ... wow ...
Happy Looking! James
-----------------
Here's the link to the list:
viewtopic.php?t=16840
stumblingpiper wrote: Feb 22 8:30 am OK ... here we go! 66 birds so far! And 20 pair.
Bill (smithers) -- I didn't add a couple of yours because the photos are broken for me. Are they broken for others? If we can get those fixed, I'll add them. Judy--you've been very productive! haha. Everyone else, too ... wow ...
Happy Looking! James
-----------------
Here's the link to the list:
viewtopic.php?t=16840
Hi James,

I've added the Barrow's Goldeneye. What else are you missing?

Pat
Was out today and got the trifecta of Nuthatches! Here, in order of size, are:
1. Pygmy Nuthatch

2. Red-breasted Nuthatch. In full disclosure, this photo is from a couple of weeks ago -- I saw him today, but didn't have this nice of a picture ...

3. White-breasted Nuthatch.

Normally, I see these in Knox Mountain Park ... today I was on the Quail Flume Trail to the East of the Kelowna Landfill -- great trail for Eagles and other birds.

For a couple of more -- here's a Black-billed Magpie from the backyard (he/she is the reason we took the suet feeder down. lol)

Either last week or week before I was walking around Munson Pond in Southeast Kelowna and see this rarity ... a European Starling. :D
Smithers wrote:169A0838-Sharp-shinned Hawk by Patrick Covello, on Flickr

This single bird popped out of a tree while I was walking around Iona Beach Park. Apologies for the poor quality photos. Please let me know if I don't have the ID right.

Pat
Hi Pat,
Judging by the size of the head it looks more like a Cooper's than a Sharpie. It's hard to tell though because the tail is kind of beat up. It could be either but I thought I'd put in my 2 cents worth. :)

Adam, the look on your grandmother's face is enough to light up the world! What a lovely lady.

One of these days I hope to get out birding again and contribute to the list. In the meantime everyone is doing so well with their additions - especially all of the nuthatches and that incredibly rare Starling James!! :roll:
jewill wrote: Mar 05 9:28 am
Smithers wrote:169A0838-Sharp-shinned Hawk by Patrick Covello, on Flickr

This single bird popped out of a tree while I was walking around Iona Beach Park. Apologies for the poor quality photos. Please let me know if I don't have the ID right.

Pat
Hi Pat,
Judging by the size of the head it looks more like a Cooper's than a Sharpie. It's hard to tell though because the tail is kind of beat up. It could be either but I thought I'd put in my 2 cents worth. :)

Adam, the look on your grandmother's face is enough to light up the world! What a lovely lady.

One of these days I hope to get out birding again and contribute to the list. In the meantime everyone is doing so well with their additions - especially all of the nuthatches and that incredibly rare Starling James!! :roll:
Hi Judy,

Thanks for your comments. When I bump up the saturation on one of the photos I see a yellowish eye. To this novice, it seems to suggest that it's not an adult Cooper's hawk. What do you think?

Pat
Smithers wrote: Thanks for your comments. When I bump up the saturation on one of the photos I see a yellowish eye. To this novice, it seems to suggest that it's not an adult Cooper's hawk. What do you think?
Pat
With both the Cooper’s and Sharp-shinned Hawk the eye starts out yellow and, with age, changes to dark orange or red usually by the bird’s 3rd year. The reason why I mentioned the head is a Sharpie has a relatively small head and it’s tail is sort of squared when compared to the Cooper's larger head and rounded tail. But I have to say these features are subtle and it’s sometimes very difficult to tell the difference between the two birds, especially when you’ve got all of 3 seconds to get a pic of such a fast moving target. Your bird’s tail does appear to be more on the square side, indicating a Sharp-shinned but it is also worn down a bit so you can’t go by that alone. BTW, I like your pictures; they are certainly better than any in-flight I’ve ever managed of either of these birds.
So you’ve stumbled upon the age-old “discussion” amongst birders - is it a Coop or a Sharpie? To be honest…I don’t know a lot of times. :?: :| However I’m still going with Cooper's for this one. There are some really experienced birders on this forum and I’d be interested in hearing what they have to say and why.
Cheers!
jewill wrote: Mar 05 9:07 pm
Smithers wrote: Thanks for your comments. When I bump up the saturation on one of the photos I see a yellowish eye. To this novice, it seems to suggest that it's not an adult Cooper's hawk. What do you think?
Pat
With both the Cooper’s and Sharp-shinned Hawk the eye starts out yellow and, with age, changes to dark orange or red usually by the bird’s 3rd year. The reason why I mentioned the head is a Sharpie has a relatively small head and it’s tail is sort of squared when compared to the Cooper's larger head and rounded tail. But I have to say these features are subtle and it’s sometimes very difficult to tell the difference between the two birds, especially when you’ve got all of 3 seconds to get a pic of such a fast moving target. Your bird’s tail does appear to be more on the square side, indicating a Sharp-shinned but it is also worn down a bit so you can’t go by that alone. BTW, I like your pictures; they are certainly better than any in-flight I’ve ever managed of either of these birds.
So you’ve stumbled upon the age-old “discussion” amongst birders - is it a Coop or a Sharpie? To be honest…I don’t know a lot of times. :?: :| However I’m still going with Cooper's for this one. There are some really experienced birders on this forum and I’d be interested in hearing what they have to say and why.
Cheers!
Thanks Judy,

Yes, I was mixed up about eye colour. Regarding the photos, the camera was set on auto ISO and ended up badly underexposed against a bright sky ...

Pat

Here is a Cedar Waxwing from a few weeks back at B[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]