This area is for general discussion on Birds and Birding.
Just wanted to make a quick comment on the fact that I've noticed an almost total drop off of interest in this web site. Very few photos being posted, and very few comments.
Have all the real keen birders gone somewhere else,or just lost interest ?
Just asking ...
Gary Magnusson
Nanaimo
Hi.. Well there was a big convention this last week in Vancouver, so that might explain some.

Personally I have found that often response to my queries were either non-existent or rude; and others I have spoken with have said much the same.

So.. it does appear to be kind of cliquish to me.. and this is sad.

On the other hand, I have met lots of very interesting bird photographers out in the field and others who are just birders who have been very helpful to me.
Garym wrote: Aug 26 10:38 am Just wanted to make a quick comment on the fact that I've noticed an almost total drop off of interest in this web site. Very few photos being posted, and very few comments.
Have all the real keen birders gone somewhere else,or just lost interest ?
Just asking ...
Gary Magnusson
Nanaimo
Hi Gary,

The keen birders are still keen but have mostly moved on from this place. The “British Columbia Birds” group on Facebook is quite active, and I’m sure there are other popular sites that I’m not even aware of yet.

I’d like to see things pick up here as well, but the truth is there is not much point posting photos, questions etc. when only 3 people are going to see them — as opposed to the FB group where it’s over 3,000!

Cheers,
Zach
Hi Gary,
Yes you are right that most of the bird photographers have left this site, I originally stopped posting about 2 years ago but came back several months ago to try to give it another try. It turned out to be the same, there doesn't seem to be much interest in the images that are posted. Photographers like to know that their efforts are appreciated but when there are maybe 3 comments at best over the period of a month what is the point of taking the time and effort to post on this site when there are many sites that make photographers feel like their efforts are appreciated. This at one time was a great site and I really enjoyed being part of it but as it is now I find it a waste of time and it appears that I am not the only one. At one time we had some excellent photographers displaying their images but that does not happen any longer.
I know that it has been discussed before but the downfall of the site seems to relate back to when Birdergirl left the site. Unfortunately I think the lack of interest will eventually be the end of the site.
Yes, I have noticed it too that the interest here seems to have wained. Too bad as it was always a place to go and see great images of the many species we have in B.C. In reading the comments, I would say that I have never experienced less than positive comments on any photos I have posted. Perhaps things will improve as the fall approaches.
Hmm.Just wondering why some bird photographers need feed back?Whats wrong with just posting a photo and be satisfied with people just looking and not commenting?Its almost like u need to take and post the picture so u can get a pat on the back.People can enjoy it without commenting.Or why isn’t your own enjoyment of your hobby enough?I just find it a bit weird on some level.Just my 2 cents worth.You can also just click on the Bc Birds Flickr group link on this site to look at tons of pics.:)
Hawkman1234 wrote: Aug 30 5:06 pm Hmm.Just wondering why some bird photographers need feed back?Whats wrong with just posting a photo and be satisfied with people just looking and not commenting?Its almost like u need to take and post the picture so u can get a pat on the back.People can enjoy it without commenting.Or why isn’t your own enjoyment of your hobby enough?I just find it a bit weird on some level.Just my 2 cents worth.You can also just click on the Bc Birds Flickr group link on this site to look at tons of pics.:)
Yeah, I know deep down that nobody really gives a damn about my photography, but it’s just a bit more fun when there is some interactivity involved. :mrgreen:
zwest wrote: Aug 31 8:30 pm
Hawkman1234 wrote: Aug 30 5:06 pm Hmm.Just wondering why some bird photographers need feed back?Whats wrong with just posting a photo and be satisfied with people just looking and not commenting?Its almost like u need to take and post the picture so u can get a pat on the back.People can enjoy it without commenting.Or why isn’t your own enjoyment of your hobby enough?I just find it a bit weird on some level.Just my 2 cents worth.You can also just click on the Bc Birds Flickr group link on this site to look at tons of pics.:)
Yeah, I know deep down that nobody really gives a damn about my photography, but it’s just a bit more fun when there is some interactivity involved. :mrgreen:
I agree with mrgreen, after taking the time to post images to this site it is nice to know that people are even viewing them, if there's no discussion (not necessarily a "pat on the back") then it kind of seems pointless to post. I used to be a regular contributor to this site but when the last big controversy came about it seemed to go on for way too long a period which turned me off of this site as well as the fact that most of the contributors left.
It’s ironic that the busiest post in ages is one about lack of posts! I’m one of the bird photographers who used to be a very prolific poster of images [up until Melissa left]. She was often among the few [if not the only one] commenting on some of the posts. Apathy is killing the Group, especially on the image side! My thanks to the small minority of Members who always have and continue to comment on the work of others!

The question I would ask is “Where have all the Members gone?” 2000 plus members and next to no activity on the Group! It seems that only 1-2% of members contribute to the group!

Things need to change if the Group is to survive!
Interesting discussion, and interesting to see that it also got quite a view views if I am reading the data correctly. I really enjoy this site and have been disappointed to see the fall off in posting activity. I use this site to find new places to see birds especially when I am travelling in BC. The photography is usually pretty spectacular as well! I post when I can, but to be honest, I am usually so far behind in my editing and filing, that I try to get that done before posting. One comment I would offer is that the posting of photos is quite cumbersome relative to facebook and I expect that reduces the posting activity... I am not a tech person so no idea if there is new technology that might allow for easier downloading of photos....
With the birding culture in BC it is hard to believe that a site like this cannot be successful...

Looking forward to the fall migration photos !
northvanrob wrote: Sep 02 11:58 am It's also summer!
People are away, and doing other things!

It will probably pickup soon!
This is what I thought too. We've had an unusually long hot spell this summer and many people have been busy outdoors enjoying all the sunshine. I haven't had many birds at my feeders this past couple of months. I have the usual chickadees year round and the occasional sparrow pop by and not stay. Yesterday, I had the downy woodpecker at my seed bell and he came again today. It is usually October when many sparrows and similar birds come regularly. I haven't lost interest in this site, I am actually trying to get off the computer to do other things. In the fall and winter I will be back on this site. I wonder, too, whether all these forest fires have taken a huge toll on the birds. Sad when you think about that.

Here is a Cedar Waxwing from a few weeks back at B[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]