This area is for general discussion on Birds and Birding.
Glad everyone enjoyed it. I thought it was so cool to see the hummingbird lek and the actual mating of Hummers on tape and such amazing macro work of the forked tongue as they fed. Also the flight altitude tests with so little oxygen were incredible to watch.

For anyone who didn't catch the program on TV, you can watch it online here:

http://vidzi.tv/n9bo2lpze1h2.html#.WACDjzRfPCQ

Cheers,
Mel
I was amazed actually by how aggressive they can be towards each other, first time i saw such behavior was near Cranbrook a few years ago now, didn't quite nail the shot but you can at least see how effective the flared gorgot of the Calliope can be :lol:

Yes totally agree they were so aggressive to each other amazing any of them get to feed at all lol!

However in your beautiful shot that is actually a mating shuttle display of the male to the female! Impressive capture of their courtship display Paul. The Calliope and Costa's have some of the most beautiful shuttle courtship displays.

Cheers
Mel
birdergirl wrote:Yes totally agree they were so aggressive to each other amazing any of them get to feed at all lol!

However in your beautiful shot that is actually a mating shuttle display of the male to the female! Impressive capture of their courtship display Paul. The Calliope and Costa's have some of the most beautiful shuttle courtship displays.

Cheers
Mel
Hmm, i never thought that it was a female it was flaring at but having never seen the species before that day and looking at shots of female Calliope now i have to agree with you Mel, cheers.

I spent a couple hours at Bennett Bay on Mayne Isl[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

Update for 9 May 2024 ... we are at 158 birds! Woo[…]

Thank you to all who came out to support OWL at ou[…]