The forum is for information, questions and discussions about locations to go birding within British Columbia.
Hi--I'm planning a day trip to Vancouver to visit friends this coming Friday. I was wondering if anyone has any tips for seeing Northern Pygmy-Owl or Sooty Grouse somewhere in the nearby vicinity. Unfortunately I don't think I'm going to have a lot of time, but thought I'd check for any tips anyone would have.

Thanks,

Matthew
If you want to see both I recommend going to either Cypress or Seymour mountain. Last weekend at Cypress I heard many sooty grouses but didn't see any on the Bowen lookout trail.
Today I went to Seymour and once again I heard many sooty grouses but didn't find any. I actually tried to find one for about 15 minutes because it sounded so close but it must have been up a tree or something. The 2 mountains are also known for possible Pygmy Owls but I think Cypress is the best in Vancouver for Pygmy Owls.

If you do not have a car there is a sooty grouse at Burnaby Mountain (SFU) next to a restaurant called Horizons right now but it is still hard to find.

Good luck

Here is a Cedar Waxwing from a few weeks back at B[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]