This area is for general discussion on Birds and Birding.
By Matyas13
Hello,

My father has a friend who recently got into Cross Country Skiing! He is skiing competitively and was out one night on a well known trail at his local trail locations with a head lamp. He was skiing when he felt this strong pain gripping at the back of his skull!? It was very painful but disappeared soon. A little later the same attack happened with more pain this time! When he went to the doctor, apparently he had vicious talon marks in his head! An owl he says must have attacked him because of either his presence or the head-lamp? Any thoughts?
He now always goes skiing with a hard hat at night :lol: !

Thanks
Matyas
By Lee Sollenberger
Horned owls are very territorial if this was recent he may be close to the nest.Owls do not build there own nest they use hawks,crows,ravens or what is available to them..I have been attacked by Horned owls in the past,while photographing the young.Yes it is very painful and can leave some nasty wounds. You might want to stay out of the area until the young fledge and are out of the area.They don't call it the TIGER OF THE AIR for nothing"..This is the nesting season for owls as they nest earlier than hawks,so you may be in the nest local..

You might want to wear a bike helmet
Lee

First of year in the back greenspace. I heard him […]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

Update for 9 May 2024 ... we are at 158 birds! Woo[…]

Thank you to all who came out to support OWL at ou[…]