This area is for general discussion on Birds and Birding.
At that price point I would definitely recommend Alpen. It has been highly rated in the starter scope category in previous reviews. I have one myself, as does my brother, and we both love them. You may have to order through the US to Point Roberts because for some reason I think I remember that they don't ship to Canada...
I'm going to second the recommendation to consider spending a bit more money on your purchase.

The sad truth of it is that you are not going to get a good quality scope for $600. This is a device that still requires quite a bit of skilled human labor to produce, so they cost real dollars. Although $600 seems like a lot of money, you won't get much of a scope for that price.

I am a very frugal person, and was sure that I could live with better priced optics when I was first getting into birding. I made the mistake of buying two scopes under $1000. Neither lasted more than a couple of years and neither had very good optics. Had I simply bought the $1200 scope to begin with, I would have saved a few dollars, and countless hours of frustration, as well as a lot of strain on my eyes.

Guy L. Monty
Nanoose Bay, Vancouver Island, BC
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. And Guy, thanks for sharing that info with me; I really appreciate it. I was hoping to make the purchase by the end of Feb but if I wait a bit longer I will be able to spend more. $1200 does seem like quite a lot of money for a scope but if it lasts a long time then it will make sense in the long run.

I am currently borrowing an inexpensive scope with pretty poor optics from a club I am part of. I may just make due with that one until the time is right. I am also planning a trip to Phoenix in March so I could look for one when I am there.

thanks again,
Jessica
Now that I am birding more along the shoreline, I am increasingly finding that I might need a scope to make out the birds one from the other.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestion on the specs that I should be looking for. For example, straight or angled, what size is the most useable? is a budget of $1000 good enough for something that I would be happy for at least a few years vs having to sell it off in a couple?

If Jessica see this post, are you happy with yours? Been a year already.

I am new to all these. The last recommendation that I got from the forum members for a 8X42 Vortex binoculars worked out really well. Both price and performance. Thank you all!
I would definitely recommend angled eyepiece but obviously it's personal preference. If you think you're ever going to use your scope to look at anything in trees then definitely consider angled.
FYI
for over a year i have had a Vortex Diamondback which i have been happy with.
I first bought local and paid in the 650-750 CDN range but purchased one recently for my Mom online for way cheaper.
Again lifetime transferable warrantee

Vortex Optics Diamondback 20-60x60 Angled Spotting Scope SWDBK60A1

Sold for: US $399.00 (ebay)

Not as great as higher end in low light but in sunshine does quite well
or Maybe i am just dont know the difference ...but another factor was i knew i would not be pampering it ...and it has stood up admirably in rugged handling.

i went into Cabelas and made them set up and demo/viewing a few for me.
in those conditions my eyes couldn't tell between this model and some of the other higher priced ones.
i think this is the made in China version...vs Vortex made in Japan which is better.

i pack Binoculars that are good for low light.

Cheers
Jody Wells
Brentwood Bay
I took Mel's advice and went to Vancouver Telescope to check it out. The Olivon T-800 is not in stock but can be ordered for around C$340 which is a VERY good price since it is US$350 on Amazon US. However, I was hoping to get one with ED lens. The sales person recommended the Celestron Regal 80F-ED, I tried it and it was really good (well, I don't have a reference point and so it is good enough for me). I am still way under my original budget of $1000. Actually less than $700 with DSLR adaptor. The shop provides a 30 day money back gurarantee and the manufacturer provides lifetime no-fault warranty.

Again thank you for all the input. It really helped!

Mario

First of year in the back greenspace. I heard him […]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

Update for 9 May 2024 ... we are at 158 birds! Woo[…]

Thank you to all who came out to support OWL at ou[…]