Looking for something to shoot? Find challenges and assignments here.
Awesome pictures, everyone! I was out today at Beaver Lake Road in Lake Country. So many varied Riparian zones there -- it was a nice day. Someone told me there were Lark Sparrows, but I never saw any. I'll probably go out and have another look!
I collected a couple of birds for us today (plus I had some I see y'all already added to the list. lol).
First up is this Western Bluebird:

Here's the female!

I already posted the Lazuli Bunting male -- here's the female!

Here is a replacement Pygmy Nuthatch ...

Finally, we already have them, but I couldn't pass up posting my two Kingbird shots! lol. Eastern and Western.

If you visit the Okanagan and you have the time, I recommend a trip up Beaver Lake Road ... the road is pretty rough in a couple of spots, but well worth the drive! Today the higher elevation birds were a little scarce, but everyone else fully cooperated! haha.

Enjoy,
James
By GMcD
While not really a native bird, the Ring Necked Pheasant is a pretty spectacular customer in breeding season. This guy was strutting his stuff at London Heritage Farm earlier today,, had his little shaded corner of the world all to himself, and seemed quite content to hang around for a while.

ImageRing Necked Pheasant26 June07_2023 by GMcD2008, on Flickr

ImageRing Necked Pheasant22 June07_2023 by GMcD2008, on Flickr
Just posting a question for this learned group: Re Red-naped Sapsuckers: I earlier posted a photo of a red-naped with the solid white wing bar which is identified as one of the features of this bird by all the literature I have reviewed. This photo of what I think is a red-naped but it is lacking any sign of this solid white wing bar. No where can I find a reference that suggests the wing bar might be missing on some red-napes. Is this normal? Might this bird be a juvenile? A hybrid? Am interested in your experience.

ImageRed-naped Sapsucker (Sphyrapicus nuchalis) Male Without Solid White Wingbar by Randy, on Flickr
By zwest
GMcD wrote: May 20 1:13 pm Terra Nova Park in Richmond was once again a good morning walk - found a Hutton's Vireo gleaning through a Black Locust tree beside the south end of the park near the viewing platform and bridge to the dyke.

ImageHuttons Vireo05 May20_2023 by GMcD2008, on Flickr

ImageHuttons Vireo01 May20_2023 by GMcD2008, on Flickr
I believe this is actually a Cassin’s Vireo! Nice shots.

Sorry I haven’t been contributing, I’ve been a bit preoccupied with non-bird stuff lately. I do have a couple though that I’ll add shortly.
By GMcD
Thanks Zwest - i relied on my Sibleys Guide and having seen Hutton's Vireos in Terra Nova Park in the past, that was my default identification. I now note the subtle difference from a Hutton's - the eye ring on the Hutton's is smaller and sometimes not complete around the top of the eye. I will edit my pictures. Unfortunately I can't edit an old post, so I'll re-post to close the loop. I trust the "Keeper of the List" to update that.
Thanks.
NewWestBirder wrote: Jun 11 11:23 am Just posting a question for this learned group: Re Red-naped Sapsuckers: I earlier posted a photo of a red-naped with the solid white wing bar which is identified as one of the features of this bird by all the literature I have reviewed. This photo of what I think is a red-naped but it is lacking any sign of this solid white wing bar. No where can I find a reference that suggests the wing bar might be missing on some red-napes. Is this normal? Might this bird be a juvenile? A hybrid? Am interested in your experience.
Randy - it looks to me like his wingbar is covered up by his chest feathers ... still there but hidden. my two cents. lol. James
GMcD wrote: Jun 14 5:42 am Thanks Zwest - i relied on my Sibleys Guide and having seen Hutton's Vireos in Terra Nova Park in the past, that was my default identification. I now note the subtle difference from a Hutton's - the eye ring on the Hutton's is smaller and sometimes not complete around the top of the eye. I will edit my pictures. Unfortunately I can't edit an old post, so I'll re-post to close the loop. I trust the "Keeper of the List" to update that.
Thanks.
Zach always keeps me on my toes! Glad to see you perusing and adding again, Zach. I've missed all your photos!
McD -- I'll update the list! lol. Sometimes I get a little behind ...
James
2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

We are currently at 115 birds! Wow. Excellent wo[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]