The forum is for information, questions and discussions about locations to go birding within British Columbia.
By norfolk1
Hi all

myself and my wife to be are looking to spend our honeymoon in British Columbia and Vancouver and plan to hire an RV.

Am a keen birder and keen to see new species ( never been to Canada or North America before so everything will be new ish) are there any recommended spots to go birding we have two weeks.

also any recommended books for reading up.

thanks tom
By wendylou
The George Reifel Migratory Bird Sanctuary in Delta is full of birds spring and fall. Someone there told me that November is the best month, and I can't wait to find out.

sandhill crane with egg on nest by wendeedee, on Flickr

My grandaughter was so excited to see the Sandhill cranes there in the spring, we were so happy when this one stood up on here nest so we could see the egg!

Here is their website: http://www.reifelbirdsanctuary.com/

If you are coming to B.C. you really should go to Whistler, too, it is amazing, I mean you should see bears as well as birds if you come this far!
By spreeuw
I recommend the purchase of the book "Bird Finding in British Columbia" by Richard and Russel Cannings. Could be bought via internet. Good luck!
By Jeremy Gatten
I would consider doing a route from the coast to the Okanagan in south-central BC. The Okanagan is very dry and the region hosts a whole suite of different birds than the coast. You would also pass through the mountains (e.g., passing through Manning Provincial Park) and pick up species you wouldn't find at lower elevations.

As mentioned, Dick and Russ' bird-finding guide would be a great investment. As the father-son duo are from the Okanagan, the information for that region will be spot on and full of helpful tips. They have both spent a good deal of time traveling across the province and are well-connected in the BC birding scene, so all the information will be top-notch.

If you were ambitious, you could try to factor in the Peace region to really round out the diversity, but I think taking it easy on the honeymoon and confining your travels to the coast and Okanagan (only ~5 hours drive to get to Osoyoos) would make for a nice, enjoyable pace with good diversity.

Take a look at this option and if you need any more information, just drop a line.

Cheers,
Jeremy Gatten
Saanichton, BC (near Victoria)
By norfolk1
Hi thanks for the reply's so far. We are coming the 3rd to the 15th June 2014.

Will look at ordering the book on Bird Finding in BC.

I agree that on our honeymoon would want to take it easy so probably wont be pushing the driving too much each day five hours is probably the max we would do in a day.

Are there any sites that we should definitely see in the Vancouver/coastal area.

Also I am a ringer/bander in the UK so would be keen to visit an observatory to see this are there any locally to the Vancouver area.

Thanks again

Tom
Hi Tom,

June is a great time to visit BC as birdsong and breeding diversity is at it's peak. As migration has tailed off by early June, most banding stations are inactive during this period but the Colony Farm crew (which Larry linked to) often have something going on and are welcoming to visitors.

And as Jeremy said, a coast to Okanagan trip is the classic route and well worth it. You may also want to consider a couple days around Victoria (on Vancouver Island). The ferry from Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay (essentially Vancouver to Victoria) is a pleasant ride at that time of year, and you may be lucky enough to spot some Orcas.

As far as locations around Vancouver to visit. In June you really want to concentrate on the breeders, as shorebirds and most waterfowl have cleared out. These would be 4 of my top for a visiting birder to Vancouver at that time:

-Cypress Bowl Provincial Park (Forest and mountain species)
-Stanley Park (A great introduction to Pacific NW species (forest and on the water), and provides great views of downtown Vancouver and Burrard Inlet. Pigeon Guillemot and Pelagic Cormorant can be seen regularly at the north end of the park beneath the Lions Gate Bridge.
-Campbell Valley Regional Park (Wonderful lowland mixed forest and meadows); great way to see the declining Douglas Squirrel among many western bird specialties)
-Reifel Refuge (as mentioned previously--this reserve is probably at it's best outside of summer, however for the visitor, there will be plenty here to enjoy in June as well).

As for the Okanagan, the southern part of the valley is where it's at. Check out the guide-book for details but I would highly recommend Vaseux Lake, White Lake, Rd 22, and both the Shuttleworth & McKinney forestry roads as places to visit.

Hope you have a great trip!

Russ Cannings
Revelstoke, BC
russellcannings@shaw.ca
By TheAnimal
First of all..."Congratulations."

Secondly, if you're interested in a nice quiet location that you can see some varied wildlife. Serpentine Fen is also a great little spot - Just in Surrey, BC. Down at the foot of King George Highway (now known as Boulevard).

Take a look through the "walkthrough". I've seen different birds every time I've gone there so far. http://www.maniacwcamera.blogspot.ca/20 ... dlife.html

And what I saw while I was down there:

http://www.maniacwcamera.blogspot.ca/20 ... -2013.html

http://www.maniacwcamera.blogspot.ca/20 ... or-my.html
2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

We are currently at 115 birds! Wow. Excellent wo[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]