The forum is for information, questions and discussions about locations to go birding within British Columbia.
Hi--I'm planning a day trip to Vancouver to visit friends this coming Friday. I was wondering if anyone has any tips for seeing Northern Pygmy-Owl or Sooty Grouse somewhere in the nearby vicinity. Unfortunately I don't think I'm going to have a lot of time, but thought I'd check for any tips anyone would have.

Thanks,

Matthew
If you want to see both I recommend going to either Cypress or Seymour mountain. Last weekend at Cypress I heard many sooty grouses but didn't see any on the Bowen lookout trail.
Today I went to Seymour and once again I heard many sooty grouses but didn't find any. I actually tried to find one for about 15 minutes because it sounded so close but it must have been up a tree or something. The 2 mountains are also known for possible Pygmy Owls but I think Cypress is the best in Vancouver for Pygmy Owls.

If you do not have a car there is a sooty grouse at Burnaby Mountain (SFU) next to a restaurant called Horizons right now but it is still hard to find.

Good luck
Is this some kind of thrush?

Thx!!

Anna's fantail

Anna's Hummingbird captured in an Oak Bay alleyway[…]

2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

Great adds, everyone! I was able to capture a few[…]

My first post!

A Song Sparrow (singing?) taken at Willows Beach V[…]