The forum is for information, questions and discussions about locations to go birding within British Columbia.
By Powhit
Hi I am travelling from Australia to Tofino/Ukee and Telegraph cove next year. In Tofino I will be spending a few days hiking some of the trails and at telegraph cove I intend to sepnd three days out on the water in search of orca. But I would desperately love to see a puffin. Could somone please advise me as to whether I will be near any good locations to see these delightful birds? Are they difficult to find? Is it just pot luck if you see them or are there definate areas? Sorry there is just not alot of information over here about them

Thanks alot
Sarah
Hi Sarah

Tofino is one of the best places to see Tufted Puffins if you do a whale watching tour or bird watching your you should definitely see one .

You are in the right time of year too.

Here is a great boat birding tour with the Whale Centre you can book to see one:
It's 85$ per person.

http://www.tofinowhalecentre.com/bird-pelagic-tour/

Cheers,

Mel
By Powhit
Thanks Mel, Are there any land based locations where you may be able to see them? We are having three days on boats at telegrapgh cove so I dont really want to do another trip at Tofino.

Thanks for your advice.
Hey unless you go to Oregon namely Cannon Beach I don't know of any places nearby here where you can see them off shore easily. Your best bet is via a boat off Tofino. However, since you will be taking many boat tours already you may very well see one on one of your non birding boat tours like I do when I go out.

Good luck!

Mel
The chances of seeing a puffin of any species while on a whale boat out of Telegraph Cove are very low. As are the chances of seeing any species of puffin from shore on Vancouver Island.

Time of year is also crucial in seeing one, even if you do a boat trip out of Tofino, specifically for Tufted Puffins. What time of year will you be here?

Guy L. Monty
Nanoose Bay, Vancouver Island, BC
2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

We are currently at 115 birds! Wow. Excellent wo[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]