The forum is for information, questions and discussions about locations to go birding within British Columbia.
By GAllen
Planning a first trip to Vancouver end of June beginning of July and I'd like to pick the brains of some of the local bird photographers. I want to try and pick up some new species for me, some that we don't get here in Ontario. I've been scoping out the wealth of information here on the site looking over the bird check lists etc..
Plan to do the tourist stuff with day trips to Victoria, Whistler and Capilano bridge along with maybe some trips to Grouse Mtn, Lynn Canyon, Lighthouse Park and naturally the closer parks Stanley and the UBC campus. I will be using public transit so with that in mind can anyone recommend any other easy to get to places that are productive at this time of year (mid summer). Plan to check eBird site closer to trip date but need info on photo friendly locations. Planning to use a 7DII with 300F2.8 + 1.4x Tele , is this enough lens? I have larger but don't want to try to squeeze larger bag on plane.
Interested in seeing for example: Bald Eagles, Humming Birds, Bushtits , chestnut chickadee , Stellars Jay nothing too rare here I hope...

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Glen
By Isaac
Glen,

All the species you mentioned could probably be seen at any of the places you mentioned. Bald Eagles are absolutely everywhere in BC. The time of year you are coming is not very good for ocean birds (although you could see Black Oystercatchers) so spending time in areas with forest would probably be good.

As for locations, I'm sure someone who actually lives near the coast will probably help with that. I'm in Kamloops. I'm pretty sure that Grant Narrows is really good in the summer when it comes to songbirds (passerines).

Isaac
I live in North Vancouver Glen so I could help you out on this side.
You can find American Dipper down at the Capilano River Hatchery and I have a year pass for Grouse Mountain, it allows me to give half price tickets to guests.
Also Maplewood it a good spot on the North Shore and Lighthouse Park.
Beaver Lake in Stanley Park is a great place to see chestnut backed chickadees and steller's jays and the chickadees will come to your hand with seed.

Vandusen Gardens and Queen Elizabeth park are always a great place for bushtits and kinglets, pacific wrens, creepers and varied thrushes.

Boundary Bay in Delta is a great place for raptors and Reifel is great for cranes and waterfowl and everything in between.

I hope you have a great trip!
Cheers,
Melissa
By Steely
Glen,

We are blessed out here with an abundance of species that we take for granted.
As I have been sitting here this morning in my Lazy Boy, having my coffee, I have watched Chestnut-backed Chickadees, Anna's Humming Birds, Steller's Jay, and a flock of a dozen Bushtits at our feeder. I'm sure if I got up off my duff, and walked to the window, I might see a Bald Eagle fly by within the hour... but how we yearn for those Eastern species you find so readily!
As has been mentioned, most of the 'tourist' locations you are traveling to might hold as good an opportunity as any to see the species you are targeting at that time of year. The camera/lens combo you suggest would give you an opportunity to have it with you on those outings. Good luck!
By GAllen
Thank you all for your quick and helpful responses. It's encouraging to hear that eagles and the other species are so plentiful out there. We get the odd eagle here but I've only seen one, and I was so far away I could only make out a large dark bird with a white head, not even a sensor dust size image.
I've quickly visited some of your photo sharing sites and you have some great images. Plan to review them in more detail, I have created a free Flickr account so I can comment etc..
I will research the new areas mentioned here in more detail to review their access via public transit etc.. Encouraged that some of the tourist type places I've already chosen could be productive birding areas also. I'm excited to visit the area, it looks amazing there and hope that the weather cooperates. I haven't been out with my camera for weeks now it's been over cast or too cold (it's -25 or -38 with the wind chill this morning).
2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

We are currently at 115 birds! Wow. Excellent wo[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]