This forum is for asking questions and providing answers on bird identification. New and visiting birders are encouraged to ask and participate.
Seen today at Burnaby Lake.
It looks like a Mandarin duck, possibly during some stage of molting. Or is it a juvenile? Is this Trevor, the local celebrity Mandarin duck? It doesn't look like other pictures of him - missing the sails on his back and the more distinct colours on top of his head. Almost certainly the same duck in both shots:

ImageMandarin duck by Leenyxa, on Flickr

ImageMandarin duck 2 by Leenyxa, on Flickr
Hi Leeny,
Yes, that’s our somewhat famous Trevor, the Mandarin Duck. Thanks for posting the pictures of him, even though he’s looking rather haggard. I’ve been worried about him because I haven’t seen him the last several times I’ve been to Piper Spit. He’s not always reported on eBird because he’s not a native species and I know he likes to hide when he’s molting. It will be the end of September or early October before he’s back to his magnificent self.
Hi Judy,
Thanks for filling me in! I actually reported him on eBird, but it didn't show up with the rest of my list...possibly because I only have the North America data pack installed? He's probably being shy like you said. I visited on a rainy evening and only one other person was around.
I don't typically bring threads back from the dead but.....

In South Surrey there is a farm, Gabriel Farms (aka Hazelmere Pumpkin Patch) anyway, Farmer Shari had hatched 2 Mandarin ducks a while back. She thinks that the Mandarin duck people see in Burnaby is actually one of the two she hatched. The other one has stayed on her farm ever since.
That actually makes sense. Ever since he appeared, almost 4 years ago now, there has been lots of speculation as to how he ended up at Piper Spit. Was he dumped there by some uncaring person who had him as a pet and didn’t want him anymore? Was he a stow-away on a freighter that had crossed the Pacific (if so, then the crew must have fed him because I think it takes 3 weeks or more to make the crossing)? Or was he an escapee from a hobby farm?
Well it looks like #3 is the winner! I’m glad to finally have an answer. He seems to be doing well - avoiding potential predators, he has a girlfriend (a Wood Duck) and both of them defend each other from other ducks (stay away from my man/woman!), and he gets lots of free food from all of the visitors to the park.
Thanks for solving the mystery Onyxdragun.

Added: She didn't happen to say if she also had 3 Pekin Ducks did she? They appeared at Piper Spit around 6 months after the Mandarin. They lasted less than a year - 1 confirmed as having been eaten by a wild mink, the other 2 unknown outcome (probably also succumbed to a predator).
Just wondering.
2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

We are currently at 115 birds! Wow. Excellent wo[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]