This forum is for posting your best bird photos and videos. Although the site is focused on BC Birding, topics here and photo postings can include birds from around the globe. As well, provide a link to your photo galleries.
By MDB8
It is expected that Canon will announce the successor to their model 7D camera within a few weeks. Pricing will be interesting. I think that Canon made a pricing blunder for their 5D III model. Too expensive. The Nikon D800 with 36 MP is priced at several hundred dollars less than the 22 MP Canon. Also, Canon is about ready to have a new faster processor. It would be irritating to have dual Digic V processors in the new model, then a few months later, have Canon introduce a Digic VI in some P&S models.

More interesting will be the new model's features. Expect at least 21 MP. Not a large increase, but enough to make a difference in some situations. Also expect at least one more stop of "acceptable" noise levels. Also expect 10 fps shooting rate.

From my perspective, the most important feature in a new model for Bird photography is focusing speed. I've missed hundreds of shots because the flighty subjects have departed before I can find, focus and frame. Obviously the lens used is a major factor in focusing speed, but I'd like to have a new model that focuses faster with the same lens than does the current model.

Secondly I'd like to have GPS coordinates embedded in the EXIF of each photo.

I know that many people use the Canon 7D (myself included). It should be noted that a new model also requires new accessories. Perhaps a new battery. The increased pixel count and frame rate will likely mean getting a larger memory card with increased writing speed. Also expect wireless flash capability that will require the purchase of a new flash. (Wireless flash is useful for remote camera use. Set up your camera, perhaps with an infrared beam shutter tripping device and a flash placed in a position to light up your expected subject.)

Any other wished-for features?
By MDB8
The Canon 6D is a full frame model whereas the existing 7D is an APS-C model with a lens factor of 1.6. The 6D has, from memory, 20 MP on the sensor, whereas the existing 7D has 18 MP. Again, from memory, if you ratio up the areas of the two sensors, you will find that a full frame sensor packed to the same density as a 7D will have 46 MP.

On a 6D, a 600mm lens will be 600mm, but on a 7D, it will behave like a 960mm lens. As our targets are often small and distant, then this difference is too great to ignore. I am sacrificing quality for reach.

I also have a full frame 5D II and I can see the difference in quality between the 7D and this older 5D.

I don't know the model's new name, but most think it will be called the 7D Mark II. Perhaps the new sensor will be so packed with pixels, that there will be a version without the anti-aliasing filter.

Regardless, it will be a much more useful camera for bird photography than a 6D.
By westcoaster
Here's the speculation from Canonrumors.
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index. ... ic=11271.0

Sounds too good to be true, but I didn't see the 6D coming so quickly after the 5D3 launch, and the 7D is getting old in the tooth from a body standpoint.
And the case can certainly be made that a high FPS, low noise crop sensor body would be every sport and wildlife photographer's dream.

Thanks for bringing this up, I'll be watching with interest now.
Talk is an announcement date either January or February.

I spent a couple hours at Bennett Bay on Mayne Isl[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

Update for 9 May 2024 ... we are at 158 birds! Woo[…]

Thank you to all who came out to support OWL at ou[…]