This area is for general discussion on Birds and Birding.
Hi,

Planning a trip to Costa Rica with friends. Any advice on best birding locations these days would be great. Have read quite a bit online but opinions from this experienced forum would be fantastic!

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

David
Its easier for me to just link my trip report from 2014, its in several parts so you need to read towards "newer" posts to get the full story.
http://45revs.blogspot.ca/2014/07/costa ... art-1.html

Fantastic trip, we are already thinking about another trip back in 2017. :)
Paul , I read with great interest, your blog on Costa Rica birding. We were there for a month in 2011 , but I was not into birding or photography at the time.
We stayed in Jaco, which is just south of Carara National Park. I took many photos, but just with a point & shoot.
We are planning on a month there again in January 2018, and this time a major focus will be on birding.
After reading your blog and checking your photos I'm kicking myself for not going this winter, instead of next.
If you get out there in 2017, i will be looking to more great photos.
Gary Magnusson
Nanaimo
Garym wrote:Paul , I read with great interest, your blog on Costa Rica birding. We were there for a month in 2011 , but I was not into birding or photography at the time.
We stayed in Jaco, which is just south of Carara National Park. I took many photos, but just with a point & shoot.
We are planning on a month there again in January 2018, and this time a major focus will be on birding.
After reading your blog and checking your photos I'm kicking myself for not going this winter, instead of next.
If you get out there in 2017, i will be looking to more great photos.
Gary Magnusson
Nanaimo
Cheers Gary, i was lucky to know a few Costa Rican photogs who helped me plan the trip and also took the time to go shooting with me, the country has so many good locations that i really only scratched the surface.
Thank you all very much for your posted information. It has helped immensely. I also received 2 messages that outlined a lot of detail about where to go, when and why. And I really enjoyed Paul's blog.

I am going for 3 weeks near the end of January with a friend who is really a quasi birder but a terrific traveller and we are both hikers. So we will be trying to find balance in both worlds which we are sure we can do that now thanks to all your help.

Costa Rica has been on my list for a long time and it sounds like a fantastic place. When I return I'll give an update as to what we saw and where to try to help others that want to go there.

Again, many thanks for all the help.
Albino sparrow??

Hi all. Please help me identify this small light g[…]

Jewill- looks good for the Western Flycatcher - t[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

Update for 9 May 2024 ... we are at 158 birds! Woo[…]