This area is for general discussion on Birds and Birding.
By Guyzerr
I was riding the lawn mower about 7 AM this morning when a raven landed on one of the freshly bailed fields next to the yard. In a matter of a few minutes it had captured and ate two field mice and attracted two crows that watched it's every move.

I've lived on this farm on the west side of Abbotsford for the better part of 10 years and that was the first raven I've even seen in the area. When I stopped the mower and reached for my cell to try and capture a picture it flew to the opposite end of the field.

It just goes to show one never knows what he / she will see.
By Powerkey
It's funny that you mentioned the Raven flying away when you turned off the mower. I have seen this so many times that there must be something to it. I sometimes see crows very close to commercial mowers snatching up the bugs behind it. And about a month ago, I experienced a similar thing while pushing my little mower around my front yard. There were three crows foraging in the area of the lawn that I had already mowed. They would get very close to me while the mower was running. They would even walk toward the mower as I was pushing it toward them. In all cases, they seem to not care about me even as I am moving. When the mower bag was full and I turned off the mower, they were startled and flew into the next yard.

Maybe someone that is more knowledgable about bird behaviour can explain this. But I have to admit to being fascinated by the behaviour of birds, especialy the Corvids.

I spent a couple hours at Bennett Bay on Mayne Isl[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

Update for 9 May 2024 ... we are at 158 birds! Woo[…]

Thank you to all who came out to support OWL at ou[…]