This area is for general discussion on Birds and Birding.
Hi everyone

My parents and I are going to Princeton and Manning Park
for a few days.What are some good birding spots there and what
birds can you find there?, since I've never been to the I terior or Manning Park

Thanks, Katya
Hi Katya

That's really nice of your parents to take you there you will love it.

I think you should stop by the lodge to see all the hummingbirds, Clark's nutcrackers and Columbian Ground squirrels. Then head up the road to Cascade Lookout (directly across from the lodge) drive slowly on this road as you look for sooty , spruce and ruffed grouse. When you get to the top (end of the paved road) stop here bring some nuts to feed the Gray Jays and Clark's Nutcrackers and Steller's Jays (note the interior species with white eyebrow) and Chimpmunks and Gooden-mantled Ground Squirrels. Up here you can see Ravens and Mountain Bluebirds and Pine Grosbeaks as well. Keep going up the dirt road to the end of the road you will come to Alpine Meadows there you will beautiful wild flowers. It's also a good place to look for Boreal Chickadee (keep your eye out for Pika and both Yellow-bellied and Hoary Marmots). Other good birds you can see up there are Three- toes woodpecker, Cassin's Finch, Townsend's Solitaire, Chipping Sparrow, Juncos, Mountain Chickadee, Hermit Thrushes, Northern Goshawk etc.

When you are done head back down the road (still keeping your eyes out for grouse) drive past the lodge to Lightning Lake stop here at the picnic area and look at the Ground Squirrels and Gray Jays and other Corvids and look for the Loons on the lake they had chicks this year.

Head on to the Lightning Lake Campground park in the parking lot to the right of the campground walk that trail and you should listen to the tapping and look all around here for American Three-toed Woodpeckers and Red-naped Sapsuckers. Keep your eyes peeled for dippers, grouse, ducks, flycatchers near the lake and chestnut-backed Chickadees and varied and hermit thrushes, pacific wren, vireos and warblers like Townsend's and Yellows in the forest

If you have time leave the parking area and turn left on the main road follow it to the end and park in the parking lot of Strawberry Flats and walk the trail to the ski area. Here you have a good chance at seeing Three-toes woodpeckers, mountain chickadee, hermit and Swainson's thrushes and red-breasted and red-naped sapsuckers, Pine Grosbeaks, Pygmy-owl, also spruce, ruffed and sooty grouse and maybe even a boreal chickadee.

Other spots you can stop at if you have time are Beaver Pond (short ten min trail) and the Eastgate entrance on the river side there is a Northern Waterthrush.

You may want to stop at the Visitor's centre on your route to Beaver Pond as well especially if it's your first time to the park lots of interesting stuff in there.

In Princeton you should stop at Swan Lake and August Lake. August Lake is a great place for Williamson's Sapsucker and white breasted nuthatches and Pygmy and least flycatchers, spotted sandpipers, Cassin's finches and chippers and ducks. Swan Lake is full of birds we don't get down here too like House Wrens, Vesper Sparrow, mountain bluebirds, yellow-headed blackbirds, Lazulis etc.

If you want a map or address to these places just send me an email.

Cheers,
Mel
Albino sparrow??

Hi all. Please help me identify this small light g[…]

Jewill- looks good for the Western Flycatcher - t[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

Update for 9 May 2024 ... we are at 158 birds! Woo[…]