Looking for something to shoot? Find challenges and assignments here.
Another one from me, courtesy of the new feeder in the front yard. We have had 2 or 3 Pine Siskin swinging by for a visit. Greedy birds, they like to stay put and chase off the chickadees trying to get their share too!

Nice work everyone! Sorry I've been off-line for a couple of weeks ... had a few projects keeping me pretty busy. Kevin - Love that Redwing ... very cool. Zach/Judy -- as usual, really nice ... also, good to see a live Pine Siskin. The only "redwing" I've seen lately is the Blackbird variety. :mrgreen:

Phainopepla6 -- glad to finally see your Great Blue Heron! Thanks for adding ... Prab ... I like that Great Blue peeking out ...

We are up to 106 Birds already! Wow.
Here's a link to the list ...
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=16619&p=90268#p90268

Happy Birding,
James
Here are 14 birds for the 2021 Challenge

American Robin
Ancient Murrelet
Brown Creeper
Common Murre
Gadwall
Killdeer
Marbled Murrelete
Marsh Wren
Mew Gull
Olympic Gull
Pigeon Guillemot
Sora
Trumpeter Swan
Virginia Rail

Killdeer

Mew Gull

Trumpeter Swan

Common Murre

Pigeon Guillemot

Ancient Murrelet

Marbled Murrelet

American Robin

Gadwall

Olympic Gull (Western x Glaucous Wing)

Brown Creeper

Virginia Rail

Sora

Marsh Wren
Wow! You guys have been busy. And such great birds too, some that I likely will never see (Murre and Murrelet for example). Nice going!
As an admitted fair weather birder I have not been out that much lately. On the few days that were nice I was working. Then there was today...finally! I went to the White Rock Pier, Blackie Spit and Elgin Park and came back with a few additions for the list.

ImageGreater Scaup (Male) by Jewill on Flickr

I waited for them to get close enough for a combined shot, but they were drifting further apart so I had to settle for separate pictures.
ImageGreater Scaup (Female) by Jewill on Flickr

ImageBlack Turnstone by Jewill on Flickr

I can't believe we don't have an American Crow yet.
ImageAmerican Crow by Jewill on Flickr

I am really looking forward to spring this year.
I know we already have a beautiful picture of a female Northern Harrier, so here's a male "the grey ghost".
ImageNorthern Harrier (Male) by Jewill on Flickr

I went sniping along the dyke at Steveston in Richmond and found 4 of them. They were a little further out than I would've liked but I take what I can get!
ImageWilson's Snipe by Jewill on Flickr
We seem to be progressing along very well this year, with some great finds and photos. I can hopefully contribute some more in the near future... working for a living has it's downsides...
Got out last Wednesday for a bit in the sunshine and saw that their are some Western Bluebirds about up here and I went looking for my go-to Canyon Wren near OK Falls.

Canyon Wren

Canyon Wren
Beautiful Canyon Wren Ian.
I have 2 1/2 additions to the list!

My apologies for the over-exposed background; I toned it down as best I could without wrecking the bird.
ImageBrewer's Blackbird (Male) by Jewill on Flickr

ImageMute Swan by Jewill on Flickr

I know we already have the American Wigeon but this is the relatively rare Storm (or White-cheeked) variant (the 1/2 addition :mrgreen: ). I couldn't find any information as to whether it's a 'true' wigeon, a hybrid or a colour morph. Apparently hunters consider them to be a trophy if they manage to shoot one :(. This is the 1st one I have seen and I couldn't resist posting it because it's such a nice looking duck!
ImageAmerican Wigeon (Male) by Jewill on Flickr
Wow! A lot of great adds early in the year ... keep them coming! I'm enjoying the thread. Today, my wife and I were hiking in Knox Mountain Park when she said "Look at that roof top over there." I took a look ...

Zooming in a little closer ... score! Wild Turkey!

A full body shot ...
Great Wild Turkey shot James!
These are both from today at Elgin Heritage Park in Surrey -

This one is still in non-breeding plumage (or a juvenile). Later if anyone can get one in full breeding plumage please post it because they are so dramatically different.
ImageBlack-bellied Plover by Jewill on Flickr

I often wonder how these ducks can even hold up their heads - their beak is so massive.
ImageNorthern Shoveler (Male & Female) by Jewill on Flickr
Finally got out for a cycling/birding trip down around Burrowing Owl Vineyard (Road 22) in the South Okanagan. I waved at you Ian on the way by! We saw about 30 different birds today ... but only a couple to add to the list! So many on here already. haha.

First one we saw at the Parking lot (Oxbows Parking on Road 22) ... A Say's Phoebe.

We cycled up and down the Okanagan River "Canal" ... We saw several varieties of ducks ... but only one picture to add -- this is for you Judy. We already have this one, but here are some Buffleheads (male/female).

Another bird already on the list: Red-tailed Hawk. However, this is the Harlan's Variant -- a darker color -- could almost be confused for a Turkey Vulture (which we usually see down here as well).
Harlan's Variant in flight ...

Driving back home passed Vaseux Lake, we turned right up toward Wild Goose Vineyards and caught this early arriving Western Bluebird.

And, just for good measure, I had seen this Mountain Chickadee at the house a few days ago, but forgot to post it!

Happy Birding, everyone!
James
2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

We are currently at 115 birds! Wow. Excellent wo[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]