This forum is for asking questions and providing answers on bird identification. New and visiting birders are encouraged to ask and participate.
I am somewhat new to birding and would like to ask for help on identifying a hawk. Pictures are at https://photos.app.goo.gl/KbxizkfvyQA2q15A6

The first picture and 5th picture in the sequence were taken about a month ago at Panama Flats and pictures 2,3,4 were taken at the UVic quadrangle. I think the first is a Cooper's and the second a sharp-shinned because of it's somewhat rounded head and I think it was about 12 inches. Can anyone help confirm this?
Many thanks!
Hi Dennis,

Welcome to the birding forums!

I had a look (consulting my Sibley's) and I think both birds are Cooper's Hawk.

In the first photo, the bird's head appears to be well ahead of the wings and the wings are not pushed forward. Tail looks slightly rounded. 2nd photo, the bird appears to have thin streaks on the breast as opposed to thick in a juvenile sharpie.
The 3,4,5 appear are a bit easier as the bill look larger, the face has grey cheeks.

Not a 100% certain by any means. Sharpie's and Cooper's are always tough to identify.
Anyone else have some thoughts?

Cheers and good birding,

Kevin
First, welcome to birding and to the forum DennisM39.
I’ll have a go at it. You have the classic birding dilemma here - Cooper’s or Sharpie. I would say that #3, 4 & 5 are definitely Cooper’s Hawks mainly because of the relatively large, squarish head and upright posture. #1 & 2 are a little trickier - #1 does show a squared-off tail but that’s not always a 100% reliable field mark. If I had to pick I’d say Cooper’s as well but it sure wouldn’t take much to make me change my mind.

Sorry Kevin - I didn’t realize you had posted. At least we agree - Cooper’s for all them!
Just an FYI - I used the Cornell Labs, All About Birds: https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Coo ... e/70780501
It’s a handy little tool for tough ones like this.
Cheers!
jewill wrote: Jan 21 8:16 pm Sorry Kevin - I didn’t realize you had posted. At least we agree - Cooper’s for all them!
Just an FYI - I used the Cornell Labs, All About Birds: https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Coo ... e/70780501
It’s a handy little tool for tough ones like this.
Cheers!
No worries at all Judy. I am by no means an expert and I welcome multiple responses on tough ones like this. It is good to get consensus and helpful when you find a diagnostic photo / source to further improve the ID. 😄
Thanks for the prompt feedback! As I mentioned, I am a new birder and there is so much to learn about identifying birds (e.g head well forward of the wings). Looking forward to participating more on this forum!
The first two photos are not the same bird simply because they represent different species. The bird in flight is a Red-tailed Hawk and the second photo is an immature Cooper's Hawk. The latter three photos show an adult Cooper's Hawk.
OMG!! You are absolutely right. I had Cooper’s and Sharpie on the brain and focused on that alone, not even considering anything else. :oops:
In keeping with the bird theme I am now going to eat some crow for dinner. :mrgreen:
StevenRoias wrote: Jan 22 2:12 pm The first two photos are not the same bird simply because they represent different species. The bird in flight is a Red-tailed Hawk and the second photo is an immature Cooper's Hawk. The latter three photos show an adult Cooper's Hawk.
Yup, totally missed that. Thank's for the correction Steven. As with Judy, I became fixed in coopers / sharpie and was not thinking red-tailed.

Here is a Cedar Waxwing from a few weeks back at B[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]