This forum is for asking questions and providing answers on bird identification. New and visiting birders are encouraged to ask and participate.
Image2017-11-03 10.02.11 by Kestrel M., on Flickr

(I dunno if the link will work, sorry.)

Maybe this link:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kestrelm/ ... otostream/

Anyway,
This hummer was photographed earlier this week north of Cranbrook - Clearview Road in Wycliffe.

I am not that familiar with Anna's, and it is likely not but I am seeing wing tips not extending to tip of tail, as Calliope would have. The sides are dark though - which indicates Rufous.

What do you think?

Dianne Cooper
Kimberley, BC
It seems to be an Anna's Hummingbird female non breeding.

Long way from the coast but there's been Anna's Hummingbirds reported east of Spokane.

The Okanagan seems to get them as well!

I would report this in the rare bird alert!

To report rare bird sightings and submit photographs for this page, please email Chris Charlesworth at c_charlesworth23@hotmail.com.
This has been confirmed as an Anna's - green sides, shorter straight bill. Nice. Our first trackable confirmation of Anna's in the East Kootenay. It was on our old checklist but I have not been able to find the documentation for that. Now it can go back on as an incidental, anyway.

Here is my checklist about it. Look at the majestic snow-covered Rocky Mountains in the background! Crazy, tough hummers! Astounding.

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S40366123

There might be another one, too. Still trying to catch a glimpse of that one in Marysville, but the people have not put heaters on their feeders.

Thanks for the encouragement, guys.
2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

We are currently at 115 birds! Wow. Excellent wo[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]