This forum is for posting your best bird photos and videos. Although the site is focused on BC Birding, topics here and photo postings can include birds from around the globe. As well, provide a link to your photo galleries.
By VancouverBirder15
From August 3-7, I was on a fishing trip in Haida Gwaii with my mom. My mom went for the fish, I went for the birds. I saw 2 lifers and took 3600 photos. Out of the 54 species I saw, some highlights included a Red-throated Loon (in breeding plumage!), Buller's Shearwater, and many Ancient Murrelets. During the trip, I only saw 14 land birds.

When we were far offshore, I was surprised to suddenly see 5 Fulmars fly out of the morning fog! They circled around our boat before landing right next to it. They followed the boat for 2 hours, allowing for some amazing views. I threw some halibut bait in the water to feed them, causing intense fights.

ImageNorthern Fulmar - Haida Gwaii by VancouverBirder, on Flickr

When we were nearby a Kittiwake colony, I couldn't happen but notice Black Turnstones and a Surfbird foraging in the intertidal zone. Even though I was on a rocky boat in light rain, I still managed to get a few shots of it. It was so cute!

ImageSurfbird by VancouverBirder, on Flickr

Rhinoceros Auklets were the most abundant bird there, hands down. I saw thousands everyday, in any body of salt water. Despite the lack of difficulty to find them, I found them to be quite skittish, and would always dive as soon as you saw them. A few were a little more tame, though.

ImageRhinoceros Auklet by VancouverBirder, on Flickr

While visiting the abandoned village of Kung, I wasn't allowed to take very many photos. But once we exited the village, I noticed 3 Semipalmated Plovers on the beach! I instantly lay on the ground and crawled up to them, allowing for some amazing views! These are the best photos I've taken of the species.

ImageSemipalmated Plover by VancouverBirder, on Flickr

These are the only photos that I've uploaded so far. I still have 425 "good ones", that I have to narrow down. I'll definitely post some soon!
By markj
Real cool Cole the bill on that fulmar is really cool how the heck did you get so close?

Again great pics!

Mark
By wings
Excellent shots of those birds, many of which are pelagic and therefore seen only when one is far offshore.
By wings
markj wrote:Real cool Cole the bill on that fulmar is really cool how the heck did you get so close?

Again great pics!

Mark
________
This bird of the Procellariidae family has a tubenose for picking up scent and, as I understand, the tubenose also helps excrete excess salt. A great closeup shot.
2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

The link to the current list is below. We are at […]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

Current list -- we are at 142 birds! Wow ... Have[…]

The annual Open House at OWL (Orphaned Wildlife Re[…]