Birding in British Columbia

A starting place for birding information for British Columbia, Canada. This web site features a birders discussion forum, links to birding newsgroups, articles and book reviews, checklists, regional hotspots, photo gallery, weather reports, and visiting birder information.
It is currently Apr 25 1:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Which Tour company for Bear and Whale watching?
PostPosted: Nov 13 11:20 pm 

While I realize this is a birding forum (and that is my principal interest) my wife and I are planning to do some grizzly bear and marine life photography from Telegraph Cove on North Vancouver island to Knight Inlet in September 2009. I've looked into several Tour websites but I'd ike to know from members of this forum if they have any positive experience with any of these tour companies.

I intend to do some birding around the south part of the island, around Qualicum beach and Nanaimo on my drive south to catch the return ferry.

Any help is much appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov 13 11:30 pm 

I don't believe there are any grizzlies on Vancouver island.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov 13 11:46 pm 
Veteran Member

They cross the channel and locate the bears on the mainland estuaries. I have only read the brochures..cant help in terms of quality. Find one that serves a greater purpose than profit..maybe a nature organization group that charges and puts money back into habitat preservation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov 14 9:08 am 

I can't give any recommendations personally, as I've never been on one of these tours, and don't know anyone that has.

You might give the folks at Stubbs Island Whale Watching a call. I don't think they do tours over to the mainland, but they are located in Telegraph cove and could probably give you a good recommendation. They essentially started the Whale watching industry in this area, and are the most conscientious tour operators I've ever seen.

Last fall the Nature Trust of BC ran a tour out of Telegraph cove I believe. Maybe google them and see if they have anything planned for this year?

Oh, and as to Grizzlies occurring on Vancouver Island, apparently we do have a few now. For reasons unknown, they have started swimming over from the mainland. Several have been shot for causing trouble around Port Hardy and Sayward over the past five years.

If you need any birding advice about sites on the north island or the Parksville-Qualicum areas, feel free to send me an e-mail.

guylmonty@gmail.com

Post subject: Grizzly Bear Watching Tours
PostPosted: Nov 14 5:19 pm 
Intermediate Member

Hello Wings
Guy is correct, Vancouver Island has had more Grizzly sightings than usual of over the part 5 years or so. Likely connected to the declining populations of spawning salmon on some of their favorite mainland watersheds. I worked for the National Park Service in Banff for a short time with the grizzly relocation crew. These bears are extremely adaptable and will forage hundreds of miles in search of food sources.

As for tours:
1. Eagle Eye Adventures based out of Campbell River are excellent. They don't have a dedicated Grizzly tour but will arrange a private 5 hour excusion over to the main land from C River. Warning: its expensive.
http://www.eagleeyeadventures.com/tours.html

2.King Inlet Lodge is the primo tour outfit for Grizz. Top of the heap. But you will pay dearly. But absolute top quality all the way.
http://www.grizzlytours.com/short-grizz ... canada.php

Good Luck to You
Doug

Post subject: Viewing Whales, Bears, etc.
PostPosted: Nov 15 2:57 pm 

Stubbs Island Charters is always a good bet, but for a really great experience, Bluewater Adventures offers a couple of trips that will delight you, without fail. I guarantee it! :) Worth every penny! I have done many of their trips, and they have become my company of choie for B.C. / Alaska wildlife viewing. You will have a ball!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec 01 10:42 pm 

Thanks everyone. Looks like Stubbs Island tours and Realadventures are the ones to go with. September 2009 is an eternity for me to wait.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec 10 7:13 am 
Intermediate Member

I have twice done bear tours with riptide out of Telegraph cove. Very good service.
There web site talks about when where ....
Some pictures

http://www.pbase.com/caper/knightinlet_2008

http://www.pbase.com/caper/knight_inlet

Post subject: Bear Tours
PostPosted: Dec 10 9:43 am 
Intermediate Member

Hey there Kim

Enjoyed looking at your pictures on Pbase. Love the Bears!! Also, your bird pics are very very good. Loved the Roseate Spoonbill shots. You really got the intense color these birds can exibit.

A personal question, if you and the web administrator don't mind?
Do you do or have you done any scuba diving? I dove a couple of times with a guy who has the same name as you do, on Vancouver Island? He was also an accomplished photographer.

Thanks
Doug

Post subject: Re: Which Tour company for Bear and Whale watching?
PostPosted: May 20 10:33 am 
Intermediate Member

If you don't mind taking the ferry up from port hardy to prince rupert, Prince Rupert Adventure Tours has a full day tour of the Kutzemateen Valley Grizzly Bear Sanctuary. I've never been but I've heared it is FANTASTIC. Although september is not peak season for bears, I beleieve may-july is. Not sure. Google it and find their website, it has some great stuff. They also have some promo videos on Youtube.

Post subject: Re: Which Tour company for Bear and Whale watching?
PostPosted: Jan 01 3:30 pm 
Intermediate Member

Rich-this thread is 4 years old.