This forum is for posting your best bird photos and videos. Although the site is focused on BC Birding, topics here and photo postings can include birds from around the globe. As well, provide a link to your photo galleries.
Although I am nearly ancient, I haven’t been photographing Birds for a very long time. However, I did have extensive experience in photography prior to my interest in Bird photography.

There are some simply rules that I follow for the most part. Firstly, you must learn how to use your equipment. These devices are not iPads; read the manual to learn the features and limitations of your camera. Secondly, learn about your intended subjects. I have several reference books and consult them when I am attempting to find something new. What does it eat? What time of day is best for finding it? Is it more likely to be found low or high, or even on the ground? Thirdly, review your photos and determine what you like and more importantly what you dislike about them. When you have aspects you dislike, how can you correct the problem so as to avoid it in the future? That sort of thing.

However, I also view photography as a qualitative activity. That is, what you like/dislike may be different from what others perceive. So in this sense, you should be aiming to please yourself, not others. In turn, this observation leads to the conclusion that it is not useful to emulate others. Find your own comfort zone and grow within it.

Although when someone asks me for some advice or information, I offer it up if I have an opinion or some knowledge, I still think it is preferred to figure it out yourself. Maybe you’ll get it better than others have done and regardless, you will find it rewarding.

That being said, how does one approach photographing Shorebirds at Boundary Bay?

When I first started this hobby, I visited BB at 3 locations: 72nd St., 64th St., and at Tsawwassen (the park). I walked the dykes studying the shoreline. I would often observe Shorebirds, but almost always, I would be looking into the sun and photography would be difficult. My pivotal event occurred when I noticed a bird with a crest similar to that on a California Quail foraging near a pond. I struggled to find an angle from which to photograph the bird, but before I could get set up, a Northern Harrier glided over the pond and the bird disappeared into the shrubbery and did not return while I was there.

So I decided to leave the dyke and walk out so that the sun, when viewable, was behind me. Concurrently, one must be aware of the tides when walking the mudflats. And I chose to wear rubber boots and not go barefoot or wear open foot shoes.

I geared up for this approach. I had noted that Shorebirds were often viewable at great distance during low tide from 104th Street, a location where free parking is available. I decided that I would arrive during a low tide, walk out to the shoreline and return along with the incoming tide, but loop around to “The Mansion”, a location between 96th and 88th Streets, then walk back to my car along the dyke.

This route would result in photography with the sun behind me as I approached the shore and sometimes I could get favourable lighting even at the shoreline. I also was initially nervous about “quicksand” stories.

What I discovered during my first outing was that the footing and muck were worst near the dyke. After about 50 meters from the shore, the ground becomes firmer. I have never encountered quicksand and only on rare occasions have I been in water deeper than the top of my feet. However, at very low tides, the ground becomes mushy near the waterline.

Generally, when present, the larger Shorebirds (like BB Plovers) hang out at the shoreline as much as possible. These are difficult to approach, but with a big lens and/or a big sensor, you can get close enough. The little Calidris Sandpipers often are out there too. And I have seen Red Knots, Ruddy Turnstones and once even Hudsonian Godwits out there. When the tide comes in, I don’t know where they all go, but some proceed to Mud Bay.

Shorebirds behave as though there is strength in numbers. When they observe others scuttling around, they deem the location safe and join the crowd. Conversely when an alarm sounds, they all depart simultaneously. If not attacked, they fly around and more often than not, return very near to their point of departure. When they fly in a tight ball-like formation, they think they are under attack. The flocks are mixed, but I suspect turns are directed by wing sounds. But you must be patient. And still.

Here’s the essence of the technique. When I walk back to the dyke, the sun, if viewable, is behind me. Good. I stop and periodically study the mudflats. More often than not, I spot a group of Shorebirds foraging in or near the myriad of little pools exposed during low tide. Generally this foraging is not random. If you watch, you can see that the birds as a flock, are moving in a particular direction. Usually towards the waterline. So I move to a location which I guess will be on their preferred path and also take the sun’s position into account and just stand there waiting for them to come to me.

The Calidris Sandpipers are odd. They are with their relatives, near and distant, and tend to ignore their near environment and put their full attention on the ground near them. So it is my observation that if you stand still (reasonably still), they ignore you and if you are on their route, they come right up to you. On one occasion, I was watching something in the distance and heard a “peep” at my feet, looked down and a Sanderling was right beside my boot. It noticed me looking at it, jumped a little, then scuttled off. Ditto when they are flying. Yes, I have had flocks land all around me when I am standing still.

Alas, the Plovers are, I suspect, a brighter bird and are not easily fooled by imitation statues. Yesterday, for example, I saw about 100 Semipalmated Plovers on the mudflats. They seemed to be moving in small groups. As this is a species for which I wanted to obtain better photos, I set up as described above. There was a waterway in front of “The Mansion” and the SPs were foraging along the waterline and moving in my direction. I moved about 50 meters in front of the group and went still. The Plovers all moved to the far side of the waterway and kept on foraging, but none came closer than about 15 meters. Whenever I focused upon one, I observed that it was also watching me.

However, by watching the SPs, I started to be able to guess their decisions. In particular I noticed one approach the far side of the waterway near me and watch a bathing Western Sandpiper with what appeared to be envy. I sensed opportunity and waited. Sure enough, the SP took to the air and landed in the shallow water near the WS (of course placing itself behind the WS WRT me). Then it just stood there and watched me and I watched back. Eventually, it decided I didn’t belong there and walked back about 20 feet, then dipped into the water for a refreshing bath.

So no method will guarantee results, but you can help yourself by studying the birds and trying to guess their decisions in a manner which will help you take better photos. I prefer not to lay myself down in the mud. Note, though, that it is possible to use Photoshop to obtain water reflections like those shown in Liron’s photos. I use a 600mm equivalent lens and obtain angles which are close to those lying down using a shorter lens. However, water reflects more strongly at low angles (dieletric) and I don’t often obtain nice reflections. Nor do I bother with special effects.

Advice, freely given. Each to his own. Photos to follow shortly.
Always interesting to hear another's approach to birding. Really appreciate the generosity of people willing to share their secrets. The desire to get that great capture does become obsessive.

I like your idea of walking out at low tide and coming in with the tide (and the birds) but I must admit I am hesitant. On my recent visit to the area I did suddenly find one leg stuck in the muck half way up to my knee, the other leg slightly better off and the tripod that I was using like a walking stick about a foot deep into the foul smelling muck. Immediately the news story I had read not so long ago of 2 photographers in Alaska walking out on the tidal zone in an attempt to photograph Eagles, getting stuck and actually having to be rescued popped into my head. I was close enough to a log to put my hand and weight onto the log and get my feet pulled out. I was not about to go any further out though, spent a happy hour sitting on the log waiting for the birds to come to me. I was near the shoreline where the tide had only recently gone out, as you said it can get very mushy. I'll will try again though, perhaps a different spot.

You are so right in recommending thinking ahead observing the location of the sun in relation to the birds, so often I have been so excited when a particular bird was performing some interesting feat that I have clicked away only to be disappointed later when I end up with only a dark silhouette with no detail. I am learning though, it is often the mistakes you make that really help you to learn.

Anyway, I had noted the good variety and great shots you showed us with your shore bird Peep Walk photos on this forum and was therefore pleased to come upon your thoughts of how to approach these subjects. I'll be rethinking my plan before my next foray to the shore. Thank you for sharing.
As a spinoff from thinking about Chantal's Nome adventure, I came across this "Bag Blind".

Although Nick thinks it would stand out on the BB mudflats, I think the Shorebirds would consider it to be just another log. What struck me as interesting is that it has a "rest" which could support a long lens. Unless I purchase a special device of some sort, my lens is just not suitable for low-angle shooting. I think someone mentioned using a bean bag.

Also this blind is waterproof enough, closes up and likely can be used in light rain. Not good when the tide comes in, though. It weighs 22 pounds. I'm not certain how it packs up, but perhaps camera and lens can be placed inside whem moving it about. These bags are on sale now because it's not hunting season.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/ ... t104791680

And, as I suggested to another, I expect that in a couple of years, we shall see/hear drones flying over the mudflats for those who want "high" angle photos.

Here is a Cedar Waxwing from a few weeks back at B[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]