This forum is for posting your best bird photos and videos. Although the site is focused on BC Birding, topics here and photo postings can include birds from around the globe. As well, provide a link to your photo galleries.
I went to Tofino just for the Saturday boat trip to Cleland Island and got a bit of shorebird photography in early Saturday morning before the boat ride.
For the shorebirds I finally tried my skimmer pod that I've had for awhile and the right angle viewer (so I don't have to crawl in the sand/mud/water) - thank you for that Paul, before you mentioned the right angle viewer I had no idea of its existence!
ImageWestern Sandpiper by featherweight2009, on Flickr
ImageDunlin & Worm by featherweight2009, on Flickr
ImageDunlin by featherweight2009, on Flickr
ImageSemipalmated Plover by featherweight2009, on Flickr
The boat trip to Cleland Island was good, but generally too far for decent shots of any birds. Also I was really hoping to get a good shot of a Rhinocerus Auklet but we only saw one very far away and a Tufted Puffin which we did not see any. We did see 4 Sea Otters though and a mother & calf Gray Whale which were very close to the boat!
Before we left the dock this Bald Eagle came & grabbed something from the water, then thought better of it & dropped it. Not sure what exactly it is!
ImageI'll put that back! by featherweight2009, on Flickr
ImageGray Whale by featherweight2009, on Flickr
ImageSea Otter by featherweight2009, on Flickr
ImageSanderlings by featherweight2009, on Flickr
These Brandt's Cormorants are highly cropped, but their beautiful bright blue breeding colour skin is stunning!
ImageBrandt's Cormorants by featherweight2009, on Flickr
ImageBlack Oystercatchers by featherweight2009, on Flickr
That was the first pelagic trip I've been on in sunny and somewhat calm conditions, made for a wonderful day!
Thanks for looking! :)
Beautiful shots Deb!

There is nothing like being in Tofino when it's sunny very few places as beautiful as there on earth!

When Ilya and I did that workshop in San Diego it was the first time we were introduced to those skimmer pods and they are great! I think they are worth the 90$ for sure saves your camera from getting covered in sand and helps produce those great low angle POV shots.

Thanks for sharing and glad you had a great time despite not getting as close as you would have liked.

Cheers,
Mel
Great shots Deb, Looks like a very productive weekend in one of my favourite spots on Vancouver Island. My fave is the western Sandpiper and although i have nothing against wallowing around in the mud for hours with the birds i am glad you found something comfortable for you. I have never tried this righthand apparatus you speak of.
Cheers
Mike Ashbee
By Sherms
Great series Deb!

Glad to hear the angle viewer works well. I've got one for my camera a few years back but never got a chance to play with it yet. Still lying on the sand...I think my back and neck would be much happier if I started using it.

BTW. It wasn't me in waders. I was mainly in Cox bay/beach.

Sherman
By Doug
That was sure a productive trip Deb! Had fun seeing all your shots.
I made my skimmer pod a few years ago with a teflon frying pan. Easy to drill and attach the right bolt for my ball head. But I would definitely like the right angle viewer, because it's really hard on my neck after awhile.
2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

Very nice capture of the Pheobe. I went out looki[…]

I was in Mexico last month and saw some new things[…]