Birding in British Columbia

A starting place for birding information for British Columbia, Canada. This web site features a birders discussion forum, links to birding newsgroups, articles and book reviews, checklists, regional hotspots, photo gallery, weather reports, and visiting birder information.
It is currently Sep 18 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Albotross, Shearwaters, Storm-petrels and gulls
PostPosted: Mar 18 5:06 pm 
Intermediate Member

Hello,

There are still seats available on the WildResearch Pelagic Birding trip out of Ucluelet April 29, 2012. We will depart from Ucluelet on the MV Frances Barkley (a 129 ft coastal freighter) for a seven-hour trip that will take us 37km offshore to La Perouse Bank. There have been very few pelagic birding trips at this time of year in BC, and this will be a good opportunity to see seabirds not normally seen on fall trips.

The pelagic birding trips are WildResearch’s main fund raising event and membership drive. Funds raise by the pelagic trip will be used for WildResearch’s monitoring projects ie. Iona Island Bird Observatory. Our next pelagic trip is planned for the fall 2013.

For more details on the 29th April trip visit: www.wildresearch.ca

Participants that book BEFORE April 1st will receive $50 off the price of the trip!

Thanks,
Paul Levesque
Vancouver, BC.

Post subject: Re: Albotross, Shearwaters, Storm-petrels and gulls
PostPosted: Mar 18 9:11 pm 

Despite living in Port Alberni, after the drive, meals and accommodation, the price is a little too steep for me Paul. Awfully tempting though. The Frances Barclay is a perfect boat for this.

PostPosted: Mar 18 11:30 pm 
Intermediate Member

Ya, I know. The cost of getting the ship from Port Alberni to Ucluelet and then back to Port Alberni really adds to our overall cost. But what a ship! The Frances Barkley really is the pelagic dream machine.

I'll be sending out an email to the trip participants in the next few days about organizing carpooling and sharing accomadations, this really helps reduce the costs.

Sandy, how many pelagic trips have you been on over the years? What were the best ones?

Paul Levesque
Vancouver

PostPosted: Mar 18 11:55 pm 
Intermediate Member

Nobody told you BC stands for Bring Cash Sandy? Like Russ said, he can barely afford a sandwich and he's goin! Will be a great trip for a great cause!

Sounds like you have been on many Pelagic trips! Jealous...

Fuel ain't cheap these days...

PostPosted: Mar 19 11:59 am 
Intermediate Member

Hi Paul:

My name is Damion Ruthven. My email address is: 10aciousfaith@gmail.com I have registered and paid for the Pelagic bird trip. I'll be departing from Abbotsford to stay over night in Ucluelet on the 28th of April. I just read that you'll be emailing all participants in the next week or two. I would love to share food, accomodation, and ferry costs with another (others). What information do you have on this?

Regards
Damion

PostPosted: Mar 21 5:19 pm 

Hi Paul,
I'm not sure how many pelagics I've done. 6 or 7, I guess. The last one was last June from Bamfield in May. It was great, but I'm easily impressed. There were thousands of Red Phalaropes floating on a flat calm sea. A Humpback jumped 15-20 times very close to the boat until we got board and left. And a Fur seal waved at us. And the price was about half the price of this one. We saw BF albatrosses, PF Shearwaters, Sooties & FT Petrels. And we saw all sort of alcids, ansd Sabines gulls.
I also organized a trip to Triangle Island that was fogged out. It's rare to even see the island. We didn't get very close.
I'm still thinking about it. I've got to go count my shekels.

PostPosted: Mar 21 11:12 pm 
Intermediate Member

Hi Sandy,

The trip out of Banfield last spring sounded amazing. It is too bad that the BC Feild Ornithologists didn't continue with the trips out of Port McNeil, I think if things had worked out a little better (poor weather) those trip could have be really good. Did you organize a trip out of McNeil independatly or was it one of the two BCFO trips?

Paul Levesque
Vancouver

PostPosted: Mar 22 12:52 pm 

A few years ago there was an American Birding Association Conference here in Victoria. I organized a trip for them, but I also publicized it on Yahoo Groups BCVIBIRDS, BCINTBIRD, BCVANBIRD and Albertabird to get a bunch of more local people on the trip.
I think that if someone finds the right boat and advertises in the major population centres across Canada, regular pelagic trips every couple of weeks through the summer is possible.

PostPosted: Mar 30 1:18 am 
Intermediate Member

Just a reminder/bump for this trip/thread. Those of you thinking about it, sittin on the fence, you have 2 days to sign up and save 50dollars! As the old Nike slogan goes, "Just Do It"

Going to be a super cool trip you won't soon forget!

Happy birding.

Rocky Hill

PostPosted: Mar 30 6:01 pm 
Intermediate Member

And there are some seat still avalible.

Thanks,
Paul Levesque
Vancouver

PostPosted: Apr 01 3:09 pm 

I was planning to stay a long weekend in Ucluelet/Tofino with some days before or after the pelagic. Also, I am looking for a ride from Victoria area or Nanaimo to Ucluelet. If there is anyone with the same plans we might arrange something.

PostPosted: Apr 02 3:29 pm 

I did some research. Lady Rose Marine charges $495/hr as a charter rate. The tour is 8 hours. So that's $3960 for the trip. Assuming at least 40 people on board at $200 each that's $8000. So $4040 would be raised less whatever you are paying the guides, if anything. I realize that this is a fund raiser, but sheesh! How 'bout last minute deals? They do that a lot in the tourism industry.

PostPosted: Apr 02 4:54 pm 
Intermediate Member

Hi Sandy,

The ship doesn't arrive in Ucluelet for free, and it doesn't return to Port Alberni for free; your math is short 8 hrs of running time.

Sandy, you seem really concerned about the cost of the trip. You brought this up last fall on other groups and you have brought it up a few times this spring on this group. What's going on?

Paul Levesque
Vancouver