This area is for BC birding news, events and related announcements.
An interesting situation has come up on the Sunshine Coast, that relates directly to bird conservation. A Vancouver Island logging company has announced that they are going to log publicly owned property, right in the middle of town in Powell River, which has been used for decades as a city park. Through some arcane and antiquated agreements, the company does own the cutting rights to the trees, while the City owns the land. We are talking about 100+ year old fir forest with maintained trails throughout. To say that the people of Powell river are shocked is a major understatement. Imagine the people of Vancouver discovering that a private company was going to log Stanley Park!

At the request of a local conservation group, I was asked to look for options that might halt or at least slow the logging. That was a pretty simple question to answer. The BC Wildlife Act and the Migratory Birds Convention Act prohibit the destruction of active nests. Period.
And as this just happens to be nesting season, and nests are being identified ever day now, it looks like this is going to be a very interesting case to pay attention to.

I'll attach a link to a story in the Powell River paper. I also heard this morning that this story is now appearing in national papers as well.

http://m.prpeak.com/articles/2015/05/04 ... 868379.txt

Guy L. Monty
Nanoose bay, Vancouver Island, BC
Interesting post Guy.

It is clear that the Tories have no regard for the law when protecting their interests, so why should environmentalists be any different. Harper has proven to Canadians (on multiple occasions) that threats, cyber warfare and blackmail are very effective tools of manipulation.
-Chad.
A "right"? What is this "right" you speak of? Where did this "right" originate from? What duty does anyone have to respect this "right"? Does the lack of utility in this "right" cause it to be "wrong"? :D What would Socrates ask in this situation? :lol:
markj wrote:Unfortunately this won't be a fight you can win as logging companies have a right to log even if birds are nesting

Mark
And Alberta will never elect an NDP government. :shock:

Never say never. I remain optimistic.

Guy L. Monty
Nanoose Bay, Vancouver Island, BC
Flight wrote:A "right"? What is this "right" you speak of? Where did this "right" originate from? What duty does anyone have to respect this "right"? Does the lack of utility in this "right" cause it to be "wrong"? :D What would Socrates ask in this situation? :lol:
Hey I don't condone their so called "Right" but if logging companies log in birding areas they have the right to do so by not breaking any laws. The same thing goes for farmers that have the right to farm farmland even if there are nesting birds in their ag land.

It is an unfortunate fact in Canada.

This link may provide more insight.

http://www.oag-bvg.gc.ca/internet/Engli ... 35723.html

Mark
Hi Mark,

Yes, there is no prohibition against logging per se. However, both the BC Wildlife Act (S) 34, and the Migratory Birds Convention Act (1994) prohibit the destruction of active nests. This is what this matter pertains to.

Hope that clears things up,

Guy L. Monty
Currently in Delta, BC
Thanks Rob. There are positive things happening on this issue. The purchase of the timber rights within Millenium Park takes care of some, but certainly not all of the lands involved in this.

In another step, it looks like the nest-finding is already paying off. I'll be heading to Powell River tomorrow to teach a public workshop on nest-finding so that more of these good works keep on happening.

http://m.prpeak.com/articles/2015/05/11 ... 868379.txt

Guy L. Monty
The citizens of Powell River continue to make progress towards saving the trees on their park lands, by using laws in place to protect nesting birds. This week local provincial conservation officers visited an active logging site to investigate reports of active bird nests, and logging was shut down at those sites. While the CO's were on site, we found three more active nests, causing further shut downs. Later that day I taught a community workshop on nest finding that was enthusiastically received by about 70 Powell River residents. I'll attach a short video that was released on the weekend.

https://vimeo.com/127657353

Guy L. Monty
2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

We are currently at 115 birds! Wow. Excellent wo[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]