The forum is for information, questions and discussions about locations to go birding within British Columbia.
Hi: I will be visiting Whistler in March of 2013. What are good birding places for that time of the year ?
I can snowshoe, but nothing too strenuous. Would anyone be interested in showing me around? I will gladly pay for your gas and time or make a donation to your local birding group, etc.
Susan from Texas, USA
Hi there, there is snowshoeing in March and it would be fun to look for birds :) plenty of ravens and whiskey jacks! We are in Whistler often, maybe it works with your schedule? Amber from British Columbia
Hello,

Sorry for the late reply. There is some good birding in Whistler in winter but bird densities are low. Your best bet to see local high alpine specialities are on the ski hills especially Blackcomb Mtn at the Rendezvous restaurant and the Horstman Hut. Crystal Hut on Blackcomb sometimes has a few birds looking for handouts too, and this is a great spot for lunch.

The Rendezvous regularly has Clark's Nutcracker, Gray Jay, and Common Raven scavenging food on the outside terraces, especially in March and April. The Horstman Hut regularly gets Rosy Finch (Hepburn's form) scavenging just outside the hut on the terrace along with Nutcrackers. You will never see crows this high.

Most other specialties are hit and miss due to the vast expanse of suitable habitat. If you are an expert skier equipped with full avalanche gear and avalanche training, try the Blackcomb boundary line along Disease Ridge for White-tailed Ptarmigan. They can show up anywhere above treeline higher up, but are rare.

Sooty Grouse are best found on Whistler Mtn. below the Roundhouse restaurant and may even be hooting by then making it alot easier to find them. The entrance of Dad's Run and Mom's Run usually has a Sooty Grouse. (I think they renamed these runs to something more politically correct before the Olympics. Ask a ski patrol.) Sooty Grouse are inconspicuous but common on Whistler Mtn. at mid elevations in winter and you may even run into one walking across a run if you are one of the first up the hill. Listen for the hooting in appropriate habitat. Also look for tracks if you have fresh snow (this goes for ptarmigan too!)

Flocks of Red and White-winged Crossbill, Pine Grosbeak, Mountain Chickadee are found regularly but again hit and miss, lots of trees, not many birds. You will need alot of luck to find stuff like Northern Hawk-Owl and Boreal Owl but they are there.

In the valley bottom, try the Valley Trail from Lorimer Road. This road runs straight out of Village North, across Hwy. 99 and then down the hill, dead-ending beside a small church.
Go on the Valley Trail here but do not cross the small foot bridge, instead turn immediately left (south) and it is a short walk to the north end of Alta Lake.

There is a wildlife viewing platform at the north end of Alta Lake, and with a bit of open water you may find Trumpeter Swan at that time of year, and a few other waterbirds. The walk between Lorimer Road and Alta Lake could also turn up various crossbills, shrike, and many other passerines depending upon the weather, temperature, and depth of snow cover at that time. If you are there at the very end of March, there could be alot of action of the weather is mild and snow cover is melting. If things are really cold and frozen over, look for American Dipper along the open stretches of river (creek really)

It is possible to see Black-capped, Chestnut-backed, and Mountain Chickadee along here if things are still cold. The Black-capped Chickadees are rarely found outside the valley bottom, they are normally Chestnut-backed at mid-elevations, and Mountain Chickadee higher up, but all three are found regularly in the valley in winter.

Also look for Pileated Woodpecker along here, they are resident breeders here and you may find a Red-breasted Sapsucker if the weather is mild.

I am sure I missed a few things, but I had to leave you some surprises. Hope that helps!

Cheers, Max
Vangroovy, B.C.
I forgot to mention, you can go up the ski hills as a pedestrian, try doing the loop from the Whistler Village, up to the Roundhouse, and across the valley on the Tram to the Rendezvous at Blackcomb and then back down.
Hi Max:
WOW, thanks so much for all of the info! If I see half of the birds you mentioned, I'll be happy! A few of these species I have seen in the mountains of Colorado or Utah but I am really looking forward to birding in BC!
If anyone would like to meet up with me March 12 or 13, please contact me at:

texas410@gmail.com

Happy Birding,
Susan
Sugar land, TX
Hi Canadian Birders:
Thanks for all of the info on birding the ski areas of Whistler/Blackcomb. I am excited to think that we will be there soon! So many new birds to see in the mountains, but I think I would also like to go down the mountain for one day, perhaps only to Squamish, perhaps all the way to Vancouver. Are there any public transportation options for getting to either location? We will be taking a shuttle from the Airport to our lodging in Whistler and therefore I will not have access to a vehicle. Plus, we are flat-landers and not confident enough to drive on mountains! :)
I will only have a day to get to either Squamish or Vancouver, bird, and then get back to Whistler, no option of staying overnight anywhere other than Whistler. If I can only visit one area, where should I go that will maximize my time and opportunity to bird? And what is the safest area to bird alone? Or would anyone want to meet me somewhere? :)
I have heard of a Bald Eagle viewing trip that I think I can join from where we are staying. Is this something that I should do? Are there other birds to see on that trip besides the Bald Eagles? I know that this is the largest congregation of Bald Eagles in the world and I'd like to see it but my time is limited and I have Bald Eagles in my own area.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Happy Birding,
Susan
Sugar Land, TX
Hi Susan,

There is a Greyhound Station located right in the heart of Whistler Village that makes multiple trips per day to Vancouver. This of course goes through Squamish en route to the Vancouver. The area you are mentioning for viewing Bald Eagles is about 10 km north of Squamish called Brackendale. The best time of year to see this spectacle is during the salmon runs in the fall. Many of the eagles move on after the feast has run it's course. There aren't many species in the Squamish area that can't be found closer to Vancouver with greater ease.

The Eagles are now in great numbers at an area called Boundary Bay, just south of Vancouver. Great for raptors including Snowy, Long-eared, Barn and Short-eared Owls, Northern Harrier, Rough-legged and Red-tailed Hawk. This fantastic spot for birding is quite easily accessed via public transit from Vancouver. The Greyhound lets you off downtown. From here you can take buses, the skytrain, seabus and rent bicycles in order to get around.

The most convenient place to bird in this area is Stanley Park. World-renowned, and for good reason. It's a spectacular place, especially when you consider how close it is to the hustle and bustle of the city. I would suggest renting a bike somewhere in the West End or perhaps along the waterfront of Coal Harbour. A quick search of these locations should bring up several bike rental outlet. Beware, many of these might be seasonal.

From there, a leisurely ride through the park and around the sea wall should produce some good birds and other wildlife. You can expect to see an assortment of waterfowl in Lost Lagoon, many of which are quite tame, including Common Goldeneye, Bufflehead, Wood Duck, Common & Hooded Merganser, Mute Swan and Lesser Scaup. Friendly Raccoons are also easily seen here. Some passerines to expect are Anna's Hummingbirds, Red Crossbill, Red-breasted Sapsucker, Pacific Wren, Pileated Woodpecker, Golden-crowned Kinglet, Fox Sparrow, etc. The oceanfront here can also produce some interesting birds. Surf Scoter, Harlequin, Black Oystercatcher, Sanderling, Red-breasted Merganser, Barrow's Goldeneye, Brandt's, Double-crested & Pelagic Cormorant are all sighted regularly, Harbour Seals too.

Unfortunately I won't be in the area on those dates but I'm sure someone would be willing to show you around the area. I would suggest inquiring about this on the local birding list serve.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/vanbcbirds/

I hope you enjoy your time in B.C. , best of luck!
Hi Susan,

I agree with Jess's excellent suggestions above. Stanley Park is a special place for an urban park, even nicer in the rain! This is a temperate rain forest after all!

I would skip Squamish too.

The only drawback to a day trip to Vancouver from Whistler is that it will eat up a lot of travel time. The bus ride itself will be minimum 2.5 hours, maybe a little over 3 hours depending upon which bus you catch - one way. Vancouver public transit is excellent but Boundary Bay will be close to another hour from downtown Vancouver- also one way. So you are looking at minimum 5 hours travel maybe as much as 8 hours depending upon where you go, connections etc.

If you have some extra time upon arrival/departure at YVR airport, you might consider birding at Iona Beach Regional Park. This is about a 10-15 min cab ride from the airport and will cost around 20 dollars - one way.

IMHO it is not as aesthetically pleasing as Stanley Park or Boundary Bay, but it is one of Vancouver's premier birding locations and turns up great birds all year round, and you can still see a lot of the same birds Jess mentioned.

There is a 4 km long jetty to walk out into the Georgia Straight, and some ponds and marshes which usually have lots of birds.

I am blatantly biased, but if the weather is nice and sunny, I would skip Vancouver too and hang out in Whistler on top of the mountain drinking mulled wine!

Cheers,

B. Max Gotz
Vancouver, B.C.

Here is a Cedar Waxwing from a few weeks back at B[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]