Greater Vancouver, Lower Fraser Valley, Chilliwack, Hope, Lytton, Whistler, Squamish, Powell River, Howe Sound
Bittern continues today in the dyke ditch area near adventureland's bridge to dyke. Tried locating it on and off for quite a few days but finally with the help of another birder. You don't appreciate how hard it is to 'see' it. We took our eyes off for a minute and took us tremendous effort to re-find again. I swear they can vanish easily like a ninja within a 10X5 feet area.
By Slabs
birdergirl wrote:Mike Fung got some nice shots today of the Bittern and a Mink.

PS Congrats to Bridget on finally getting her lifer AMBI today!! 8)

Cheers,
Mel
Love the Bittern but it is particularly nice to see the mink. My sister and I saw one a few times last year around the boardwalk at the pond: very pretty.

Even though I saw Bitterns quite regularly at the foot of Francis Rd over the past couple months, I always found them rather tricky to photograph there. So I headed to Terry Nova yesterday to see if I could find one there. And was very fortunate!

Cory was already there when I got there and had a Bittern lined up in a very nice spot: thanks Cory! Always nice to get some bright, downsun photographs at relatively close range with the bird in the open. Come to think of it: how often does THAT happen... Oh well, makes us appreciate it more when it DOES happen!

Some images:

And I had never before noticed the blue mark on the neck! Nature can be very, very beautiful indeed.

Alwyn
Falcon ID (Burnaby)

Awesome, thanks :)

What i did on my Holidays

Great photos of some beautiful birds. It seems I m[…]

I've photographed Tufted Puffins several times at […]

Boundary Bay

A few days ago I took a walk out onto the mudflats[…]