Greater Victoria, Gulf Islands, Cowichan Valley, Nanaimo and Centrial Island, Port Alberni, Tofino, North Island
Hello all. I was told by several different locals/birders on Aug 6 and 7 that the Mute Swans had been culled at Esquimault lagoon. They said 14 had been found with their necks broken. I am trying to confirm if this horrific news is for real. The basic message I was hearing is that the swans had been considered a nuisance (an invasive species) and the plans to get rid of them had been in the works for a while. Can anyone confirm this? and who did this?
accordionboy wrote:Hello all. I was told by several different locals/birders on Aug 6 and 7 that the Mute Swans had been culled at Esquimault lagoon. They said 14 had been found with their necks broken. I am trying to confirm if this horrific news is for real. The basic message I was hearing is that the swans had been considered a nuisance (an invasive species) and the plans to get rid of them had been in the works for a while. Can anyone confirm this? and who did this?

i hadnt heard about finding the 14 with necks broken.As far as i had heard there were no bodies found,which was suspicious for predations leaves bodies.

But i did notice that there were suddenly none there and the 2 remaining Locally do not hang around there and appear to be both males.

I was told that Canadian Wildlife Services had most probably done the deed
What was recounted to me was that several years ago there had been an announcement of a cull made it to the media and it was postponed because of the outcry and public backlash.

Seemingly they were devious, biding their time & finally doing it under the cover of darkness.....

What a Shame!

if there was ever a better good will ambassador for our wildlife... ?
And considering all the development around the lagoon its definitely debatable which invasive species(man or swan) was having the greater impact.

Subsequently i learned that these swans were descendants of a Royal Gift from the Queen
which in my books makes it all the more tragic.

I would love to see someone "out" the CWS on this.
There used to be a healthy little population in Sidney and Fulford Harbour (Saltspring Island)..but for all i know they have decimated those populations as well.

Ya.. i am jaded on this topic.
Hi Jody... Thanks for the update. I am so sad about this. Those swans gave many people joy!! And yes.. Who is the invasive species!! Big Boo!

JodyWells wrote:
accordionboy wrote:Hello all. I was told by several different locals/birders on Aug 6 and 7 that the Mute Swans had been culled at Esquimault lagoon. They said 14 had been found with their necks broken. I am trying to confirm if this horrific news is for real. The basic message I was hearing is that the swans had been considered a nuisance (an invasive species) and the plans to get rid of them had been in the works for a while. Can anyone confirm this? and who did this?

i hadnt heard about finding the 14 with necks broken.As far as i had heard there were no bodies found,which was suspicious for predations leaves bodies.

But i did notice that there were suddenly none there and the 2 remaining Locally do not hang around there and appear to be both males.

I was told that Canadian Wildlife Services had most probably done the deed
What was recounted to me was that several years ago there had been an announcement of a cull made it to the media and it was postponed because of the outcry and public backlash.

Seemingly they were devious, biding their time & finally doing it under the cover of darkness.....

What a Shame!

if there was ever a better good will ambassador for our wildlife... ?
And considering all the development around the lagoon its definitely debatable which invasive species(man or swan) was having the greater impact.

Subsequently i learned that these swans were descendants of a Royal Gift from the Queen
which in my books makes it all the more tragic.

I would love to see someone "out" the CWS on this.
There used to be a healthy little population in Sidney and Fulford Harbour (Saltspring Island)..but for all i know they have decimated those populations as well.

Ya.. i am jaded on this topic.
Nikon Monarch Fieldscope

For sale BNIB 20-60x60mm ED Please send email or […]

Type of Hawk

From all about birds.org The name "Rough-legg[…]

Hamerkop

Love the name of this bird - literally: "Hamm[…]

Honestly i dont blame people who loose faith in hu[…]