This area is for general discussion on Birds and Birding.
I have atleast 5 regular chickadee's that come to my feeders... lately I've noticed one acting out (maybe others too.. hard to tell if it's the same one!)
While perched, he rapidly flaps his wings and continuously chirps. Sometimes there are others around him, but not always.
Is this a territorial thing? I've only noticed him doing it within the past month or so... so I was thinking maybe it could even be a "mating" thing.
Any input would be wonderful, as I cannot seem to find any information on this.
For little birds chickadees have a very established hierachy in their flocks. During the nesting season the males are more vocal and will sing much more and also fight for territory.

Can't know for sure what your little guy is doing but since he does it at the feeder most likely it's due to nesting season and dominance to ensure he gets the best food etc.

I have some chickadees nesting in my yard and if other birds get too close to the seed or suet the little chickadee will chase them off the apple tree.

Take care and enjoy watching your feeder.
Thanks for the input... That is definitely along the lines of what I was thinking as well.

After posting, he was doing it again, alone at the feeders.
Another chickadee came in and started eating at the peanut station. So he temporarily stopped, flew over to the peanuts, and did his display directly in front of the other one and they eventually flew off into a tumbling wrestle.
I guess this would confirm a little more that what he is doing IS territorial.

Nice to see the Savannah Sparrows back flitting am[…]

I was in Mexico last month and saw some new things[…]