This area is for general discussion on Birds and Birding.
I really wish I was able to go, looking forward to seeing your photos also!
In 2011 I went on my first pelagic trip out of Bamfield at the end of May, we saw some great birds, but one of the most amazing experiences of my life was being just meters from a breaching Humpback Whale - he/she would breach then fin slap a few times before diving, then repeating the whole thing at least 8 times! :D
featherweight wrote:I really wish I was able to go, looking forward to seeing your photos also!
In 2011 I went on my first pelagic trip out of Bamfield at the end of May, we saw some great birds, but one of the most amazing experiences of my life was being just meters from a breaching Humpback Whale - he/she would breach then fin slap a few times before diving, then repeating the whole thing at least 8 times! :D

Yep nothing like watching a humpback, killer whale or any whale for that matter fully breach. Last time I saw a humpback breach was at Tofino in May.... something you never forget. Nature at its best.
There are now 35 confirmed participants. I received a crazy number of inquiries recently, so it filled up fast!

For the comfort of the passengers, I am cutting it off at 35 participants. That being said, if you would still like to come and you can get your payment to me before other participants, I can confirm you as well.

Thank you to everybody who is coming and to everybody who helped me plan this trip!
birdergirl wrote:Also for anyone who is going a little tip.... You better book your accommodations now as most places in Port McNeill and Port Hardy are full.

Cheers
Thank you, birdergirl. I already booked a room. :) Thank you again for the thought. :D
I just wanted to thank you Liron for organizing such a beautiful trip.
The weather was in your corner with beautiful sunshine and we were lucky we could go all the way out to the island.
In regards to non birding wildlife we saw a gray whale, sea otters, sea lions, seals, porpoises and dolphins. If that wasn't amazing enough I ran into a huge black bear on my way up in Comox as well.

For anyone that is interested :

The birding was spectacular we saw leach's petrel, sooty shearwaters, tufted puffins, red-throated loon, common merganser, peregrine falcon, bald eagles, turkey vulture, buffleheads, great blue heron, pacific loon, rhinoceros auklet, Cassin's auklet, common murre, canada geese, yellow-billed loon, cackling geese, brant geese, Brandt cormorants, double crested cormorants, pelagic cormorants, pigeon guillemots, marbled murrelet, ancient murrelet, least sandpiper, western sandpiper, dunlin, red-necked grebe, western grebe, herring gull, glaucous winged gull, mew gull, common loon, harlequin duck, long tailed duck, black scoter and surf scoters.

All in all it was an amazing day and the captain said on 7 attempts out to triangle island he's only made it once before us so we were so lucky.

It was a pleasure meeting you and your father Liron. Thank you again for organizing this wonderful trip. It was also a pleasure meeting you Logan. I hope you have a safe drive back home if I don't see you out birding tomorrow. I look forward to seeing everyone's photos when we get home.

All the best.
:shock: If the final reports live up to the promise of BG's prelim, we're in for a huge treat—nothing compared to being there, I know, but we're all on tenterhooks for the next while!! Take your time, folks; we know you'll give us great quality.... :D
keithric wrote::shock: If the final reports live up to the promise of BG's prelim, we're in for a huge treat—nothing compared to being there, I know, but we're all on tenterhooks for the next while!! Take your time, folks; we know you'll give us great quality.... :D

LOl! :lol: One lady on the boat saw a Fork-Tailed Storm Petrel but unfortunately I didn't catch it. I have so many photos to go through as well of all the amazing birds we saw. It was a trip of a lifetime. Triangle Island doesn't look like it should be in BC more like something further south.

As this photo shows no one wanted to leave...

Cheers

Nice to see the Savannah Sparrows back flitting am[…]

I was in Mexico last month and saw some new things[…]