This area is for general discussion on Birds and Birding.
Back in 2013, there was a lot of excitement and large numbers of photographer birders at owl nests, mingling on the boardwalk of Swan Lake chatting, big lens birders walking through Beacon Hill Park or Colquitz or Panama Flats. In the past 2 years, I rarely see another birder on my daily walks, save a few tourists. A few show up for Rare Bird Alerts.
What is your experience? What is keeping you from being out there? What has changed in the birding world?
Oh wow, I’ve found just the opposite! On the lower mainland it seems the hobby is thriving with many more people out there. Sometimes it gets downright crowded at rare bird or owl sites which causes me a little bit of worry. I think the vast majority of birder/photogs are responsible and will leave quietly if they sense that they are disturbing a roosting bird. There are however that fraction of 1 percent who will do anything to get the perfect picture, including baiting, flushing a roosting bird or cutting down vegetation to get a clear shot. They are the ones who are giving the hobby a bad reputation. I, for one, am glad that the expected irruption of Snowy owls does not appear to be happening this year. Yes, we’ve had a few as in most years, but not the numbers that drew hordes down to Boundary Bay in 2011-12. So much so, that Delta Parks even installed a port-a-potty and there were a few very nasty incidents between the aforementioned “good” vs “bad” birders.
Overall though I’ve met some very nice people in the field and have learned a lot from them. It’s always nice to talk to another birder and find out where they like to go to persue their passion.
Good topic...thanks for bringing it up. I too would be interested to read others opinions on the subject.
When I go out to walk the Courtenay Airpark, I usually take a camera with me (I have three of them). If I am specifically walking to see birds and take photos of them, I take my best camera with the greatest capacity for zooming in on them. If I am primarily going for the exercise and fresh air, I might not bother taking any camera. What other people are doing out there doesn't concern me at all. I just do what I feel like doing, so I am not a good judge of the birding situation. I know there is a birding group in the Comox Valley, but they usually get up at 6 a.m. and drive to a birding location and meet the others there. They go birding as a group. I am not a good morning person so I can't join them.

I do note that numerous birders on this web site are young people (age 14+) so I conclude that birding is alive and well in BC.
Yup, birding is actually completely on the UPRISE. Young people are getting into it and making it 'cool' and the community is rapidly growing, from hardcore birders, to casualers, to photographers, to banders, and any mix of those facets.
LoganLalonde wrote:Yup, birding is actually completely on the UPRISE. Young people are getting into it and making it 'cool' and the community is rapidly growing, from hardcore birders, to casualers, to photographers, to banders, and any mix of those facets.
It was always "cool" to some of us middle aged Gen Xer's, mostly because everybody and their dog wasn't doing it. :wink:
revs wrote:
LoganLalonde wrote:Yup, birding is actually completely on the UPRISE. Young people are getting into it and making it 'cool' and the community is rapidly growing, from hardcore birders, to casualers, to photographers, to banders, and any mix of those facets.
It was always "cool" to some of us middle aged Gen Xer's, mostly because everybody and their dog wasn't doing it. :wink:
I should add however that i think its cool that young people are into birds, there are some crazy good young birder/photographers out there, i've met a few of them.
The resources and networking that goes on now are far superior to what was available in my pre internet youth.
Because of that i feel that if i was 16 today i would likely be as "into" birds as i am now as an adult.
Or maybe not. (Yeh, probably).
2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

We are currently at 115 birds! Wow. Excellent wo[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]