This area is for general discussion on Birds and Birding.
By Guyzerr
Does anyone have an idea who might be offering a course in Lightroom. I have basic knowledge on how to use it but am wanting to up my game and become a lot better at it. To date I've found it frustrating and always revert back to one of my other editing programs that I'm well versed in using.

I did find one company in Abbotsford and after doing my research decided they offer a fairly expensive course but cram a lot into it into a few short hours.

Any solid leads would be appreciated.
By revs
http://www.vancouverphotoworkshops.com/ ... e_0111.php

http://omnilargess.com/photography-classes/

I have Lightroom but have never played with it to tell you the truth because Photoshop and the Adobe RAW plugin do pretty much everything i want to do as far as processing shots goes.
By Guyzerr
Thanks for the reply Revs....
revs wrote:http://www.vancouverphotoworkshops.com/ ... e_0111.php
During my hunt I found this site and almost signed up for the upcoming weekend course ( still might ) but decided against it for now. They seem to want to spend a lot of time on organization, workflow etc. and that's something I'm not interested in because I have a great system developed about 20 years ago. Ain't nobody gunna make me change so why spend the dough. What I want to do is learn how to use the program and make my shots pop.

In the end I might just start watching videos on-line, there's a ton of them. I do most of my editing on my laptop so could use my tower to watch the vids, pause it and then practice on my laptop.

A buddy that happens to be a very well known and respected photographer that just happens to live in my old stomping grounds lives / works in Edmonton. Maybe I have to go there for his course. What better excuse for a holiday.
http://omnilargess.com/photography-classes/
This is the local company I mentioned that I investigated. To much cramming in a short time imo. A lot of time spent on doing stuff other than editing photos so I don't think the value for the money is there. Kind of like the other place.
revs wrote: I have Lightroom but have never played with it to tell you the truth because Photoshop and the Adobe RAW plugin do pretty much everything i want to do as far as processing shots goes.
What version of Photoshop do you use?
Adobe Photoshop Elements ???
Premiere Elements ???
OR something else?

I used Photoshop many years ago. Maybe I have to give that a whirl again because there's lots of things about LR that I don't like.
By revs
You might have better luck just buying a tutorial book, i know there are plenty of good one's that deal with Lightroom at Chapters and Indigo, i do that every now and then, just read a chapter or two and plug away until it makes sense, some come with cd's so you can do practice lessons.

I finally broke down and subscribed to Adobe Creative Cloud last year and am running the current PS CC 2017 version, as well as CC Bridge and the RAW plugin.
i read a PS book once and the guy that wrote it was a commercial photog and he said he did almost all of his editing in the RAW plugin before even opening pic in PS.
I'm probably a lot like you in that i never took a proper course, just hacked away for years until i developed a work flow that seems to work for me (beauty is in the eye of the beholder though and maybe my shots look crap to others LOL, i don't know, better than when i started in 2007 at least).
By zwest
I feel pretty comfortable with Lightroom these days, but I really only use it to crop and fiddle with Contrast/Saturation/Exposure, get something looking decent to convert to jpg then do anything else I need to do in Photoshop. Some of the features like "Clarity" I have found to be completely useless... it's just a lot of trial and error, and a few Youtube videos to get an idea of what others are doing with it.
By kmkrebs
Have you checked your local library? I'm not sure about the Abbotsford public library, but at the VPL you can access online courses through Linda.com for free. Perhaps you can get that or something similar?

There are also places like https://www.udemy.com/ - they often have sales with courses ~$15. The quality can be hit and miss, so be sure to check the reviews and any demo lessons. Despite what seems like absurdly cheap prices, you can find some good courses there.
Guyzerr wrote: Oct 05 9:30 am Does anyone have an idea who might be offering a course in Lightroom. I have basic knowledge on how to use it but am wanting to up my game and become a lot better at it. To date I've found it frustrating and always revert back to one of my other editing programs that I'm well versed in using.

I did find one company in Abbotsford and after doing my research decided they offer a fairly expensive course but cram a lot into it into a few short hours.

Any solid leads would be appreciated.
2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

We are currently at 115 birds! Wow. Excellent wo[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]