This area is for general discussion on Birds and Birding.
Attn: Youth and Parents

Our First field trip of the year has been announced!

It will be our first overnight trip and true 7hr pelagic on May 7th, 2017!

There is a hefty discounted rate for BCFO young birders attending of 150$ for members and 175$ for non members. There is also an age restriction so please email me for details at BCbirdergirl(at)gmail(dot)com

Ten participants are already registered and spots fill up fast on the boat which is open to the general public so register with me as quick as you can. We will be traveling on the MV Frances Barkley out of Ucluelet.

Parents are welcome to attend with their children on the boat but they will not be granted the discounted rate that I have arranged for the youth and will have to pay full price of 225$ plus 30$ membership. The trip price for parents will increase to 275$ after March 31st.

Our fees for the pelagic will go towards helping WildResearch with their conservation and avian monitoring programs, as we are taking part in their annual fundraiser.

Since this is an overnight trip there are lots of forms, waivers and detailed info that I will email out to any interested parents.

The boat will be leaving at 7 am and returning around 3pm. We will be meeting at 6:15 am on May 7th at the dock at Whiskey Landing off the end of Main Street.

Transportation will be provided from Vancouver on May 6th and one night accommodation for those who need it. We will be returning to Vancouver on May 7th right after the pelagic.

Our group will have a dedicated spotter and 2 adult volunteers including myself trained in CPR and First aid for children and we all have experience working on marine vessels.

Big thank you to WildResearch for supporting the Young Birders program.

More info on the boat and the trip can be found here:

http://wildresearch.ca/news/pelagic-trip/

I am really looking forward to it! So far we have kids signed up from Fort St. James, Kelowna, Victoria, Tofino and the Lower Mainland. It's going to be great bringing all these kids together from across our great province that don't often get to see each other. This will be a great opportunity to learn about seabirds many of the youth have never seen before and for some great photography. Many lifers will be had!

All youth registered will receive detailed info on what to bring for the trip, where to meet, fees for the trip from Vancouver to Ucluelet and motel rates etc.

Any children attending as part of the BCFO young birder overnight field trip must go through me in regards to payment and not through the WildResearch site.

Cheers,
Mel

Nice to see the Savannah Sparrows back flitting am[…]

I was in Mexico last month and saw some new things[…]