This area is for general discussion on Birds and Birding.
Birders share the wilds with more than just birds. Share your stories of encounters in the wild and any alerts you may have: cougar, bear, mating owls, snorting bulls, hunters in a zone et al.
I guess the best advice I can give is to always be aware of what is around you when you are anywhere near bears. I was at Thornton Creek 2 years ago out on the boardwalk photographing a big boar black bear that was fishing in the creek. I noticed my partner waving me to look behind me and when I did there was a young, possible 2 year old bear within a foot of me. He just looked up at me and jumped down into the creek and went fishing. I hesitate to think what he would have done if I reacted quickly but I just stayed calm and he showed no interest in me at all. I have seen several instances at this location where people have come much too close to the bears because they weren't paying attention to their surroundings. Fortunately nobody was ever hurt but the potential was always there. Just remember, we are invading their territory so give them lots of leeway.
Be very careful of posting locations of bears and or cougars especially given the horrific news out of Ocean Falls this week. The new Conservation policy in BC is to kill not relocate, never call the CO unless you are certain the animal is a threat, because if you call, you are sentencing that animal to death. Encounters and stories are great and a great way to learn from others experiences, just be very aware of this new policy.
thanks Stuart and the article raises all kinds of questions about our integration with nature, remote areas, whether people really fed them or not, did the conservation officers have clear indication to justify killing them, can you transport a cougar on a BC Ferry if that is the only way out of the area et al
http://www.cheknews.ca/conservation-off ... ty-240670/

cougars are reported constantly by Saanich Police in the Greater Victoria area. they have been spotted in just about every place I go, but I've never run into one but grew up around them in the Okanagan and they never bothered us as kids. we all remember the tourist phoning the front desk at the Fairmont Empress Hotel saying there was 'a big dog' in the parkade which turned out to be a cougar, the one that entered the open window in a basement suite on Nanaimo St & the picture of the police &CO chasing after it to corner it in a yard, the lady who claimed to have been chased down the Galloping Goose, friends who were biking the Galloping Goose on the Sooke leg running into one, the one on West Burnside up by Pacific Forestry Centre, in Ross Bay Cemetery chasing deer. so far, nobody has been hurt (but didn't one kill a small boy up at Tofino who got separated from his parents walking back to a parking lot or was that a bear) and most, I believe, have all been transported. Of course, we have so many deer right in the City..all that temptation.
a bear was right on the boardwalk at Goldstream Park a couple years ago slinging fish onto it. it seems in years of plenty, they are just trying to get by, and really could care less about us humans. but then there are situations, like getting between a mother and her cubs, that creates grave danger. I sure wouldn't want a cougar or a bear killed on my behalf, but then, I wouldn't want a young child to be their lunch either. we try to be aware of where they are and stay out of their way but when there is potential danger to small children who may not know how to respond appropriately (like the cougar in the school yard), conservation officers usually get the call. I hope they act with integrity.
CTV News, Global & CBC picked up this story in the last couple days. each story adds a bit more perspective (and there is information on the net about habituation and how to act if in cougar territory; birders take note). Perhaps a better future resolution will come out of the current social media outrage. Gladys Miller's photos are beautiful though.
http://globalnews.ca/news/3094387/two-y ... falls-b-c/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3871125

Here is a Cedar Waxwing from a few weeks back at B[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]