This area is for general discussion on Birds and Birding.
By esle9
Hi everyone, I haven't posted here in a long time.

Last week I was doing a monthly survey at Kits beach for Bird Studies Canada's coastal waterbird surveys, when a Bufflehead x goldeneye hybrid male appeared from around Kits point.

He has been present at least as long as I have been doing the surveys since 2011, and there are also reports from 2010. He is at least in his 6th calendar year then, and he has a while to go to beat the Bufflehead record of 18 years, but he is well past the average lifespan of 2.5.

I think it is interesting that after he migrates every year for the summer, he always returns to the exact same wintering spot, at the tip of Kits point. I was a little concerned when he hadn't shown up by December, but sure enough, he is back at the tip.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to get any reasonable photos of him, but there is a photo of him in this thread from a few years ago: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7438

I don't think it is really possible to tell whether he has Common or Barrow's in him, since it would probably be a bit unpredictable how their genes interact with the Bufflehead, but he seems to hang out more with Common Goldeneyes and Buffleheads.
That is awesome Else and glad to see you posting! It was great seeing you at the accentor. That is a very cool hybrid. David Wong recently found and photographed a Common GoldeneyeXBarrow's Goldeneye Male Hybrid at Jericho. It's cool to find hybrid ducks like this especially the rare bufflehead cross!

Cheers,
Mel
After migrating away for the summer, I am happy to report the male Bufflehead-goldeneye has returned to the exact same spot at Kitsilano Beach. If anyone wants to see him, he can usually be spotted a little ways offshore from Kits Point, where he stays through the winter. Very interesting bird, I'm glad he had a safe migration!
2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

We are currently at 115 birds! Wow. Excellent wo[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]