This area is for general discussion on Birds and Birding.
Hi guys,

I was given this book today by a friend. "101 Golden Rules of Birdwatching - Twitching Tips and Tales to Inform and Entertain" by Marcus Schneck

You can buy it here from Amazon for 7$

http://www.amazon.ca/Golden-Rules-Birdw ... 0091930332

I highly recommend this book for any birder! You will laugh and relate to many things in the book some you will disagree with and others you will agree with.

EVERY single aspect of birding that you can think of is covered in this book.

The description is from the publisher:

"Birdwatching is a hobby that sometimes pleases, sometimes frustrates, but always enthrals. It is a pastime that can take years to understand and 101 Golden Rules of Birdwatching is the perfect companion for that journey - filled with wise advice alongside tales of personal experience. Not only does the book include anecdotes about this unique activity that will resonate with any bird watcher, it also provides valuable hints and tips and essential dos and don'ts.

Packed with practical, hard-earned advice from a life-long birdwatcher, it will help you track down new and elusive species, attract more birds to your garden, and make the time you spend on your favourite hobby more rewarding than ever before. From the birding beginner to the experienced twitcher, 101 Golden Rules of Birdwatching has something to entertain and inform all nature lovers."

It is written by a british author but covers north american birders habits as well. It talks about bird photography, bird feeding, pishing, backyard birding, nestboxes, sharing sightings (pluses and cons), birding by water, birding vacations, competitive birding, people who hate birders, camping and birding, birding friends, internet birding and technology in birding and even a chapter on birding in the rain which is perfect for us vancouverites.

The part that I agreed with the most and which resonated the most with me was how birding enriches our lives. I liked how the book focused on the people who you meet and share birding with that brighten our lives.

Highly recommend this book I laughed a lot and it gave me a lot of food for thought. If anyone has read it and has any input to add would really appreciate your opinion.

It's a great book to give a birder as a stocking stuffer.

Cheers.

Nice to see the Savannah Sparrows back flitting am[…]