This forum is for asking questions and providing answers on bird identification. New and visiting birders are encouraged to ask and participate.
By nwjj
Walking the dog near one of the ravines in Burnaby South Slope recently, I heard what sounded like a vireo singing. It was foggy and getting dark, so couldn't see anything. Could this be right?

Jean
By Guy L. Monty
Hutton's Vireos are one of the earliest of the passerines to begin singing in coastal BC. Although typically they won't be in full song until mid March (possibly a bit later at your location), it is possible to hear one give a few notes at any time of year.

Guy L. Monty
Nanoose Bay, Vancouver Island, BC
By nwjj
Thanks for the help. Hutton's vireo has been on my wish list for a while, but I never expected to find one so unexpectedly, thought I had to go to some special area.

Jean
By Guy L. Monty
Hutton's Vireos are fairly widespread on the south coast. They just aren't all that noticeable if they aren't vocalizing.

I'm not sure exactly where the area you are talking about is located, but I did some bird work on the SFU campus a couple of years ago, and Hutton's Vireos were certainly there in expected densities.

Guy L. Monty
Nanoose Bay, Vancouver Island, BC

Nice to see the Savannah Sparrows back flitting am[…]

I was in Mexico last month and saw some new things[…]