This forum is for asking questions and providing answers on bird identification. New and visiting birders are encouraged to ask and participate.
I need ID for a couple of birds seen today at Jericho, Vancouver please.

This one looks like a Pied-billed Grebe, but I don't see the dark band on the beak. Could this be a juvenile?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/68635735@N02/8247719813/

This was one in a flock of about thirty birds on the other side of a marsh. Is this a female Purple Finch or a female American Goldfinch? The yellow on the wing throws me off.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/68635735@N02/8247719651/

Thank you.

David Wong
LoganLalonde wrote:The first bird I think is a non-breeding Pied-billed Grebe and the second is a Pine Siskin.

I hope these IDs are correct. :)

Logan
I agree with Logan.
nice! yes, they were lousy shots and I've removed them. there is a first for every bird. At your suggestion, I'll stick with my Peterson Field Guide and not seek help on this site. I don't agree that was a yellow-rumped warbler. it had green on its tail, no yellow anywhere.
and I've seen lots of yrw @ Rithets.
the excitement of birding and recording is something to encourage not disparage.
sometimes just finding something unique and sharing it is enough.
and not everyone can start with a $6,000 SLR & lens it takes muscles to carry!
Guy meant no harm, as indicated by his laughter. He is an exceptionally knowledgable birder, I'd never doubt his identification abilities. In fact, I look forward to his comments because of his knowledge. It's a shame you took it as a negative, I'm sure that was not his intent.

Deborah
Malahat, B.C.
THIS is what I would call encouraging! re:my recent COHA capture in ross bay cemetery:
"Hi Cheryl, Thanks for the images. Yes, his code is barely legible but this
is definitely Black 4 over S, a male I banded as a nestling in Beacon Hill
Park in 1998 making him over 14 years of age. This is the oldest known aged
bird in my study - so far. Thanks for taking pictures of him and keep that
camera clicking.

Andy" [Stewart] COHA banding program
Actually, the photo was of a Yellow-rumped Warbler, and I would be glad to discuss why. And I was in no way making any judgements on the quality of your photos. I was trying to suggest that binoculars and a field guide are far better tools for learning to identify birds, than any camera, regradless of price. Please accept my apologies if my clumsy attempt at humor offended you.

Guy L. Monty
Nanoose Bay, Vancouver Island, BC
It is unfortunate that ogopogo found Guy’s comment unhelpful. On the contrary, Guy was just trying to say that a picture may not show all the features of the bird like looking through a pair of binoculars, and in a light-hearted way. I was pointed this direction by an experienced birder when I first started birding, and I appreciate his wisdom. Guy was in no way teasing about the quality of the picture (an even experienced birders have not-so-good pictures) or the camera.

I, and I am sure many birders in the community, have benefited from Guy’s vast experience. I certainly will continue to look forward to Guy’s comments and guidance. I always learn something from them.

David Wong
Ogopogo.You are new to this site and you just misinterpreted Guys meaning as others have said.But you will learn that people with the birding experience of Guys don't get a Yellow- rumpled warbler ids wrong.Its a very easy id for top notch birders.He has offered to explain to you why it is one.Maybe if you put the picture back up he will.You said you have seen some before and I know your a fairly new birder but Guy has probably seen or heard thousands of them if not more.Thanks Ted
I put the bird in question back up. You are surely correct about it being a yellow-rumped warbler. sorry. Perhaps it was the lighting and time of day which made it look different.
and I think I understand your joke; is it something like this?
"birders would be better served to hone their powers of observation, than be defined by the equipment they're carrying!"
of course, I'm the recorder in my group of friends, and my camera & I are attached at the hip, hence I over-reacted to your suggestion I leave it behind...ever. lol.
as for nature and being outdoors, it's a bounty of beauty, freedom & fresh air!
enjoy.

Here is a Cedar Waxwing from a few weeks back at B[…]

2024 Bird Challenge: Current Bird List

So sorry for being late in updating the list ... y[…]

Godwit?

At Blackie spit this week we found this shorebird […]

Tufted duck

I returned to report that I researched this questi[…]