This forum is for asking questions and providing answers on bird identification. New and visiting birders are encouraged to ask and participate.
Bonaparte's or Franklin's Gull?

I photographed the bird on Williston Reservoir near Mackenzie on the weekend. I'm guessing it's a hatch year example of one of the two species, but seems quite dark (especially the underwing) for either. In photo 3 there seems to be a hint of pink in the feet (unless it's a trick of the light?) which would suggest a Bonaparte's, as would the thin profile of the bill. The half-hood, lack of dark spot behind the eye and the "even" top wing pattern (lacking any sign of the characteristic dark bars seen in more mature Bonaparte's Gulls) certainly suggest Franklin's to me. The dark underwing has me a bit confused and I'm really not clear on when the tail band (clearly evident here) would normally become visible on a young Franklin's Gull.

I'm leaning very heavily to Franklin's Gull. I showed the photos to couple local experts though, both with vastly more experience than myself, and one agreed with me on Franklin's, but the other felt it was a Bonaparte's.

Opinions?

Thanks,
Jeff Dyck
Prince George, BC

P.S. I've just ordered up a used copy of Grant's Gulls: Guide to Identification from Amazon (as this is not the first gull i.d. head-scratcher I've run into)
2024 Photo Challenge - All BC Birds!

Very nice capture of the Pheobe. I went out looki[…]

I was in Mexico last month and saw some new things[…]